Dust Deputy

Mainly a lurker here but sure do get most of my questions answered before I even no I have them. Now for the question. Recently moved and had to greatly downsize my workshop and need a smaller way to contain sawdust. Have seen adds for the dust deputy for years and wondered how well they work. Can't find anyone in my area who has any experience with them so will ask a larger population. Do these perform as advertised or are they just another bunch of hype. Thanks for any information you care to provide
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have no personal experience, but cyclone separators as a scientific technique work _stupendously_. Judging by their demo vid, DDs do, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXZKYWpMbE

http://goo.gl/U8hnW $39 + $12.50 s/h from Oneida via Amazon for the DIY set. Supply your own hardware, buckets, and hose.
OK, over to you Leon, to gush over Festool HEPA vacs. BTW, Oneida makes one for them, too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ΖSheO6zwBI Why don't you have one yet, you naughty boy?
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Add pictures here
βœ–

How does it compare to the Rockler Vortex system?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah dunno. I have a Griz G-1029 with plastic cyclone lid for my trashcan. It takes out 99% or so of particulates, leaving the DC bag pretty much empty. It also saves the impeller if I suck up some hardware. I'm in love with vortex apparati.
I'd be willing to bet that most are equally effective.
Pick one and you likely won't be unhappy with it.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hello Roger, I put a dust deputy on my shopvac and my Festool vac and they work as promised. Filters or bags almost never seem to clog up or fill up. I thought there might be some loss of efficiency due to the extra resistance of the hoses and cyclone but both vacs draw up as much dust and debris as noticed before. The only " inconvenience" might be the extra large footprint of having a 5 gallon bucket next to your vacuum. Well worth the price of admission. Marc
Add pictures here
βœ–

The Festool vac is designed to have Systainers stored on top of it, right? Why not put the bucket on top?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 04 Dec 2011 07:27:17 GMT, Puckdropper

Definitely! http://www.systainerworld.com/Oneida_Dust_Deputy_for_Festool_Vacuums_p/axd000009.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hey PD, Original poster, others,, Sorry about not being specific enough about where the dust deputy resides in use. What I meant by the large footprint was referring to my regular shop vac. The Festool has its dust deputy mounted on top.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/3/2011 3:26 PM, Roger wrote:

will get one headed my way. One other question popped into my head, does height above pick up area have any effect if the shopvac develops enough air flow. Thinking ahead of myself on this one, or as I normally do just have brain farts, and considering mounting this raised slightly above head height. Thanks again for any help.
Add pictures here
βœ–
There is a Shop Improvement copy of Fine Woodworking on the shelves now that has a excellent story on dust collection and the Dust Deputy is highly praised.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/fw_currentissue.asp
A similar device from Rockler also was praised because it has wheels which is clearly easier to deal with.
On 12/3/2011 1:26 PM, Roger wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

come with 3 casters to affix to the bottom of the outside pail (if you buy the complete DD.)
Add pictures here
βœ–
I got one to use with my Ridgid 6.5 gal vac. Works as advertised. Only problem was when I sucked up a plastic bag and bits of paper. They got kinda wedged in the vortex and caused some plastic and sawdust to bypass the DD and get into the Vac. The lesson I learned is to not use this system to pick up misc. trash. For sawdust, chips, etc., works great and keeps my vac filter a LOT cleaner.
I saw a couple of very interesting installations of the DD vortex unit on the Lumberjocks.com site.

Add pictures here
βœ–