dust collector questions

;-)

I've had to empty my upper bag more than once. ;-(
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On 11/20/2011 1:54 AM, Ralph Compton wrote:

On 11/22/2011 1:41 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Separator-Dust-Collector-/270423194251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef67a7a8b My arrangement is similar to this one except the collector hose (not shown in this picture?) comes straight out of the middle of the lid. The lid on the paper drum is the one that came with the drum, but I reinforced the cardboard lid with plywood for durability.
On the sides of the barrel I have 4 hoses running to various machines, Tsaw, Jointer, Planer and Belt/disk sander. The hoses connect to shutoffs on the barrel, which connect to 45 pvc connectors inside the barrel which force the incoming chips to swirl around the barrel and drop around the sides of the barrel. Only fine powder gets drawn up the 4" pipe to the collector. The barrel is located between my Tsaw/jointer and Planer/sander. I can reach the shutoff from my Tsaw, or from my Planer/Sander. No hoses to move, just slide a gate open or closed.
--
Jack
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:54:20 -0800, "Ralph Compton"

You may want to read the latest Fine Woodworking Tools & BShops issue, with the article dust collectors. Most of the cartridges, and I think the Jet is one, pass dust below 2 microns, which is the very fine carcinogenic dust, and essentially pump it all through your workshop.
I have a Grizzly dust collector which came with a 2.5 micron filter bag and a fabric collection bag below. The collection bag was essentially a 30 micron bag that allowed all kinds of visible and invisible dust to pass.
What I am thinking of doing is to replace the filter bag with a Wynn Environmental filter. http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm . FYI, Wynn also carries clear 4mil collection bags.
Then I am thinking of make what's called a Thein separator that fits into my dust collector, similar to the Jet vortex. If it works as advertised, I should get good separation of fines from larger dust particles. If it works well enough, I may be able to avoid clogging the filter all the time. A downside is that the stuff still has to go through the impeller. I imagine the Jet vortex has the same problem.
After that I want to upgrade my plumbing to 6" per Bill Pentz' site.
Anyway, I won't have a cyclone, but I hope it will be a big improvement. If it doesn't work out, then I guess it is a cyclone for me.

A friend of mine gave me one of these he'd had for several years and never used. I just got a metal trash can a few days ago, and want to set it up. Is there some trick to this? The holes on the one I have are bigger than 4" pvc drain pipe and there is no stub flange to clamp a couple hoses to. I haven't found an online manual for the thing. Seems to me this must be a pretty simple hookup, but I'm missing something.
Thanks for any clarification.
Roy

On my Woodstock lid the hoses fit rather tightly into the holes in the lid. I almost had to screw the hose into the openings.

Well, I certainly feel like an idiot. I ran right out and took the QD off the end of one of the hoses and stuck it down the hole. It worked pretty good, but had a noticeable leak between the hose and the top. This is one of the very cheap wire wrapped vinyl hoses. I stuck the QD fitting I was holding in the other hole from the inside out. I think I will order a couple more QD fittings and silicone them into the holes to simplify hooking it up to various other machines. Thanks for the exploitation!
Roy

I am using Woodstock Hose with same-brand of lid and that might make a difference. I have not done much to seal my system since I am still dragging the hose from tool to tool. When I start putting a manifold system in I'll work more on sealing. I know of a local guy who used an off-the-shelf self-stick rubber sealer around the joint between lid and can. I have not done that yet because the suction does a pretty good job of pulling the lid down; but I do have a bungee extended across the top from the can handles to keep it in place.
RonB
On 11/24/2011 12:23 PM, RonB wrote:

Ron, have you ever tried removing the lid with the DC on? My lid just sits on my barrel and it won't come off when running. Sort of like a vacuum chuck on a lathe...
--
Jack

Sorry, Been on the road.
The vacuum from the collector keeps the lid tightly pressed on the rim of the can. Even with the collector turned off, it takes a moment to release the lid as the impeller winds down.
RonB