Dust Collector questions

Is it best to use 4" hoses instead of 2" for a dust collector ?
I just got a Delta 50-840 through the newspaper for sale / cheap. Claimed to have never been used. the bags were still sealed and clean enough to have never been used. It was missing the bolts and casters to put it together, but I had all the parts needed in my assorted junk boxes. Perviously I have been using a shop vac and connecting it to each machine as needed. (router table, band saw, tablesaw, mitersaw).
My real question is: If I am to pipe my shop, is is best to just go for the 4" tubing or use 2" (2.5 or 2.25 whatever). I understand that there will be a loss of power, but is it significant ?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

YES
You may use the smaller tubing for the router fence or maybe a sander, but use the 4" for planer, table saw, jointer, etc.
matthew silver wrote:

Use the 4" for all drops and reduce at the machine you are connecting to.
Deb
Designing a dust collection system is more complicated than one might expect. Try this site for a starting point.

Sorry forgot the link: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

A friend converted from PVC to Furnace ducting and found his suction across the shop went up quite significantly. Get the heaver guage stuff and you will be fine as long as you don't bang into it, as it does dent quite a bit easier.
Alan

Same size or larger?

There are a slew of things to consider here. But in general, yes, larger diameter pipes enable more "flow". Think of sucking a milkshake through a straw - larger diameter straw is alows more flow.
But up to a point. You've got a 1HP machine, so don't plump your shop with 6" pipe, just like you don't want 2" pipe either.
You'll also want to minimze the number of 90* turns, and in general minimize the length of runs, the amount of flex hose etc.
I just replace my 1HP with 1 1/2HP Delta 50-850 and am amazed at how much better the collection is.

Been years since I played around with my dust collectors ...But I have a 2 Hp Grizley for about 15 years now...a few years ago at an estate auction I picked up a 1 Hp Penn State Dustcolector for 2 (TWO) dollars...
anyhow at the time when I compared them it seemed to me that the 2 Hp "sucked" at least twice the amount of air the 1 Hp sucked... all using the same pipes..... Very unscientific just seat of the pants comparason etc...
I can understand how going from a 1 Hp to a 1 1/2 Hp collector would be very noticable....
Bob G.
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 22:31:08 -0400, "matthew silver"

Delta used to have a fairly good free publication on the design of dust collection systems. I believe it was actually written by the people at Cincinati Fan who had a supplier relationship with Delta. Call Delta and see if they still have it.