dust collector pipeing

I just finished installing a new Oneida Dust Gorilla dust collector that is really overkill for a two car garage shop. The duct work I used was HVAC sheet metal with hand cut 4" Y's off of the main 7" line. The 4" runs are flexible aluminum dryer tubing running to the machines in the shop. When I started the system it has so loud a whistle that I can't stay in the shop with it running. Opening all of the blast gates helps some, but it is still intolerable.
I have duct taped all of the joints. What do you-all suggest as a next step to silencing this monster. Paul Gilbert Dallas, TX
"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message: | I just finished installing a new Oneida Dust Gorilla dust collector that is | really overkill for a two car garage shop. The duct work I used was HVAC | sheet metal with hand cut 4" Y's off of the main 7" line. The 4" runs are | flexible aluminum dryer tubing running to the machines in the shop. When I | started the system it has so loud a whistle that I can't stay in the shop | with it running. Opening all of the blast gates helps some, but it is still | intolerable. | | I have duct taped all of the joints. What do you-all suggest as a next step | to silencing this monster. | Paul Gilbert | Dallas, TX | The noise is mostly emitted throught the exhaust/filter. The type of ductwork is not really important concerning noise. Moving the collector to another area would be the ideal solution, but if sounds like it might not work for you. Think about building a "sound" wall around it. Don't have a better solution, except maybe piping the exhaust out to another location. I have an Oneida as well, and I plan to move it out of the shop when I build on an addition. But it isn't for me a sound problem as much as space. However, I am not in a residential situation. I would suggest that you call the salesman who you dealt with at Oneida and bounce the problem off of them.
Hope it works out for ya, woodstuff

Me too. I'll be watching to see if Paul finds a solution. My Oneida system sounds like a C5 taking off. Ear protection is a must.
Max
<respectfully snipped> | Me too. I'll be watching to see if Paul finds a solution. My Oneida system | sounds like a C5 taking off. Ear protection is a must. | | Max | Mine isn't really that loud, to my perception, since it is in front of the rear door of a larger structure, but I can imagine what it might sound like in the corner of a garage! It really helps me to have had a hearing loss also!
(The ear doctor told me I had "Carpenter's Hearing Loss".. I asked him if he was serious, and he said he was just kidding. I just have been around too much noise most of my career. We didn't have hearing protection, or anything else for safety when I was younger.)
woodstuff

My hearing loss began in 1951, at age 18, in Korea. Not bad enough, I went to work for the Fire Department and listened to sirens for 33 years. Now the firefighters have headphones. Too late for me. So I try to save whatever hearing I have left.
Max (huh?)
"Max" wrote in message: |
| | > <respectfully snipped> | > | Me too. I'll be watching to see if Paul finds a solution. My Oneida | > system | > | sounds like a C5 taking off. Ear protection is a must. | > | | > | Max | > | | > Mine isn't really that loud, to my perception, since it is in front of the | > rear door of a larger structure, but I can imagine what it might sound | > like | > in the corner of a garage! It really helps me to have had a hearing loss | > also! | > | > (The ear doctor told me I had "Carpenter's Hearing Loss".. I asked him if | > he | > was serious, and he said he was just kidding. I just have been around too | > much noise most of my career. We didn't have hearing protection, or | > anything else for safety when I was younger.) | > | > woodstuff | | My hearing loss began in 1951, at age 18, in Korea. Not bad enough, I went | to work for the Fire Department and listened to sirens for 33 years. | Now the firefighters have headphones. Too late for me. So I try to save | whatever hearing I have left. | | Max (huh?)
Wow! Seems that I am officially the youngest one in this newsgroup! Wasn't born until 1948...

Not even close......
jc
"woodstuff" wrote

You're only as old as you feel. <BG>
Max
woodstuff wrote:

I retired in 1948...
    mahalo,     jo4hn (who may have lied about that)
woodstuff wrote:

Hey! I was born in 1954. It is nice to the one of the younger ones for a change.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

ok, i'll fess up.
1967

Did yo check to see if Oneida could be of any help? Just a thought. Otherwise, you are probably stuck with good hearing protection or moving the unit to an outside shed and piping the main line through the wall. I moved my little-buy-noisy, HF unit to the other garage bay which is separated from the shop by a wall. I can barely tell that it's on except for the rushing of air type sound.
Does it whistle when all the dryer hoses are removed? Most folks use the vacuum system hose which is wire reinforced and smooth on the inside. Not much whistle generating from smooth hose. I do not think I heard any real whistles when I have been in 4 different shops with systems that moved from a few thousand cfm to a lot. The all had smooth mains and vacuum hoses for the last few feet. Smooth mains was either spiral metal ductwork or pvc. The vacuum itself might be noisy but that is solved by have the exhaust outside or in an acoustically dampened room.
All those hand cut y's can make noise. If you smooth them down on the inside and use hvac mastic they might be quieter. Mastic also does a better job of controlling leaks in tricky areas. Smooth is quiet, chopped up is noisy. That is one reason newer cars are quieter. They do not have the noisy rain channels the cars of the 1960's had. Turbulence is noise.
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:17:49 -0500, "Paul Gilbert"

Duct sealer is a thick muddy paste used for HVAC work. It will seal a vac system much better than Duct tape.