Dust collector not collecting.

Why is it that the most obvious solution is always the one checked last?
Dust collector not sucking, running but no suction. So, I'm thinking it plugged before it gets into the seperator. Nope! Okay, must be those freaking blast gates that if not mounted upside down, get the gate channel clogged with sawdust to the point that they won't close so the suction goes way down on the other machines. Nope! Do you suppose I've got a clog at the collector at the chunk collector grate? Duh! Of course that was it. I'd been planing some wide pine and the nice wide "curls" had gotten past the chip collector made a nice 5x5 wad right at the grate. Got all kinds of suction now!!!!
I did remount the blast gates while I was screwing around so I got all the suction I need at the 20" planer. Gates close completely everytime now.
Bryan
DamnYankee wrote:

Don't feel bad...a few months ago, I got my new (first) dust collector, only to discover that it was running the wrong way!!
Or so I thought. They had "pre-assembled" the Y-connector onto the outlet port in order to fit it into the box. The instructions (who reads those?!) clearly stated you had to remove the Y and put it on the inlet side.
You have no idea how stupid _I_ felt after that one.
Kind of still do, come to think of it...

While we are on the subject of DC and dumb stuff, that plastic window on the side of the bag should be looked at closely. Just be cause it is lighter above the dark chips does not mean there is space there.
Ever failed to check until the top bag is 1/2 full? Bit of a mess.

Of course not. I know better than that.
OK, how about 1/3 full?
Close enough. :)

I was planing boards at a friends shop and filled up all 4 bags(both upper bags). That was alot of a mess. It only happened once! :-)
Bryan