Dust Collector equipment...

Seems Dust Collecting equipment is the new cash cow for woodworking tool suppliers.

Question: Why would I pay 15+ dollars for 10 ft of flexible clear tube when I can buy a piece of thin walled PVC pipe at HD for a lot less? Is there something inherently wrong with tha tsolution?

Also, I've had a problem with extreme static when vacuuming sawdust with the shop vac. Could feel the sparks through the hose. What's the solution?

Reply to
Sammy

Enjoy the electricity! Lots 'o talk about DC in the newsgroup. Some fear the occasional spark could set off dust explosions, whilst others poo-poo the possibility. Go ahead and buy the cheap stuff, keep your piping turns to 45's, and search the pros and cons of grounding your system. Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Not exactly a solution, but here is some info that might give you some ideas:

Jim Wilson

Because the thin wall PVC does not bend?? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Lots of info and links here.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Spray the tube with an anti-static spray, like the stuff people use to keep their skirts from clinging. It works great. I have metal pipe in most of my DC system, but for the flexible duct and the plastic ShopVac tubes, the anti-static spray works wonders.

I'm not worried about dust explosions, I'm just not willing to endure static shocks while vacuuming up sawdust on a typical dry Arizona day.

Reply to
Dennis M. O'Connor

Festool makes an anti-static hose for their vacumes. I t might be a standard size try festool-usa.com