Dust collector ducts, 26 Ga or 30

Home Depot has a good supply of 30 gauge duct and fittings. Do I really need

26 gauge?

Max

Reply to
Max

Depends on the HP/CFM of your system. I believe they recommend 26 ga for systems 2-3 HP and Spiral pipe for 5 HP. 30 ga is for HVAC which run at a positive pressure and Dust collectors run at a negative pressure or vacuum and require heavier metal to prevent the pipe walls from sucking in.

This website has a lot of good info >

Seeker

loaded vacuum release flapper (made from plywood) which works to prevent pipe collapse. Can't give you a link, but use your imagination. As a side effect, it gives the pipes a shot of air to clear out the shavings when the blast gate on the machine is closed.

FWIW

Reply to
DG

Here is a link to a picture of said device. This was on a Woodworking At Home episode on Shop Setups. Never tried it personally, but it seems reasonable and works for them.

DG

Thanks,

Max

Reply to
Max

Looks interesting but I guess I'll just spring for the 26 gauge. Thanks

Max

Reply to
Max

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:27:09 -0600, Max wrote (in article ):

I have a 2hp cyclone and used the HD stuff. I covered the intake and no sign of collapse, even with some scrap stuff that had a dent in it.

-BR

Reply to
Bruce