Dust collector ducts, 26 Ga or 30

Home Depot has a good supply of 30 gauge duct and fittings. Do I really need 26 gauge?
Max
Max wrote:

Depends on the HP/CFM of your system. I believe they recommend 26 ga for systems 2-3 HP and Spiral pipe for 5 HP. 30 ga is for HVAC which run at a positive pressure and Dust collectors run at a negative pressure or vacuum and require heavier metal to prevent the pipe walls from sucking in.
This website has a lot of good info > http://www.airhand.com /
Seeker said:

If you are destined to use thin gauge pipe, I've seen a DIY spring loaded vacuum release flapper (made from plywood) which works to prevent pipe collapse. Can't give you a link, but use your imagination. As a side effect, it gives the pipes a shot of air to clear out the shavings when the blast gate on the machine is closed.
FWIW
DGG said:

Here is a link to a picture of said device. This was on a Woodworking At Home episode on Shop Setups. Never tried it personally, but it seems reasonable and works for them.
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/DCReliefValve.jpg
FWIW

Looks interesting but I guess I'll just spring for the 26 gauge. Thanks
Max

I have 2HP. Guess I'll have to get some of the heavier stuff. Thanks,
Max
--
Want change? Vote out the incumbents.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:27:09 -0600, Max wrote

I have a 2hp cyclone and used the HD stuff. I covered the intake and no sign of collapse, even with some scrap stuff that had a dent in it.
-BR