dust collector control

Page 1 of 2

What do you use for dust collector control?
I want to get a dust collector and was wondering what others do about turning it on and off apart from walking over and turning it on, etc.
thanks

Rockler sells a router control switch, with big buttons and a set of extension cords. My Delta 1200 cfm machine plugs into one of those just fine. Paid maybe $15 on sale.
Simple is often good.
Patriarch
X-10 module with a RF remote. Works OK. Sometimes takes a couple three presses.
Alan
arw01 wrote:

Could you provide some more details on the X-10 module. I've looked at that keeping in mind that my unit is 1 1/2 HP and that the amperage rating for the module should probably 15 or 20 amps. I was concerned about interference and wondered if a filter would also be needed. It looks like a more expensive alternative than the $40-60 remote kits, do you agree?
If you bought yours through the web, do you have a recommendation?
Thank you, in advance.
John

I use three of these X-10 appliance modules http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Appliance_Modules for turning on and off my dust collector, vacuum, and air filtration unit. But I didn't like the RF, so I just have strategically placed mini controllers http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Mini_Controller plugged in around the shop. They work first time every time for on and off, and I really like the "ALL OFF" option the mini controllers offer. (The "dimmer" function doesn't do anything, though ;^)
-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

What I did in my shop since I was building it from scratch, is to put light switches at the table saw, work bench, and about every 6 feet along the wall where I have woodworking equipment.
I connected the switches in parallel so that any one of them will activate the dust collector. Since my DC is 220 vac I just used a relay with a 120vac coil and rated for 200vac/20 amps.
I had a long ranger RF control but I kept misplacing it and spent too much time looking for it. This way I have no more than 3 feet to a switch.
Gary
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
> What I did in my shop since I was building it from scratch, is to put > light switches at the table saw, work bench, and about every 6 feet > along the wall where I have woodworking equipment. > > I connected the switches in parallel so that any one of them will > activate the dust collector. Since my DC is 220 vac I just used a > relay with a 120vac coil and rated for 200vac/20 amps.
<snip>
Replace those light switches with momentary push buttons and you gain undervoltage protection that I previously described.
Also using light switches requires that you make sure they are all OFF to make sure the D/C is off.
Lew
> > I had a long ranger RF control but I kept misplacing it and spent too > much time looking for it. This way I have no more than 3 feet to a > switch. > > Gary

But if you wire the switches using 4 way switches, then you could turn it on and off at any location.

Wireless remote. I have the Long Ranger, but other types are available. V E R Y handy to have. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lr110-3.html http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyIDQ17 http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 740
remote control

For a while I used a remote control by Shop Fox (I think). It seemed to work perfectly, but then I heard it turn the collector on long after I had quit for the day. I didn't like the idea of it possibly running while I was gone so I stopped using it. Instead, I hard wired a switch ahead of the DC outlet. The switch is above the center of the shop and is fairly convenient (and shouldn't start on its own).
PDX David
"R. Pierce Butler" wrote: > > What do you use for dust collector control? <snip>
The following is based on my many years of motor control design and application.
It may be a bit of overkill, but you had to ask.
Let's assume the D/C motor operates at 240V, then you need a 2-pole contractor with a 120V coil and an auxiliary control contact supplied in a NEMA I enclosure. (This also works for a 120V motor)
At every tool station where you have a D/C pickup, you mount a START momentary push button station, again in a NEMA I or better yet a NEMA 12 enclosure.
A single momentary STOP P/B is located at a location of choice.
Any START P/B station starts the D/C.
The D/C keeps operating until the Stop button is pushed.
The system provides under voltage protection.
HTH
Lew

I have a three way switch installed on the circuit. One switch near my table saw, the other switch near the downdraft. Works good for me, but required planning when I wired my shop.
TBM wrote:

I have a simliar arrangement. It's awesome. I could never find my remote control, and when I did, the batteries were dead. Nothing like a couple of strategically placed wall switches.
R. Pierce Butler Wrote: > What do you use for dust collector control?

> turning

I'm lucky--I have a new Oneida system that includes a remote on/off switch that looks just like a car alarm remote. I can turn my system on or off from anywhere in my shop. I'd check to see if you can retrofit your dust collector with a magnetic switch with remote on/off capabilities.
And I don't recommend leaving your system on all the time unless you've got pretty good ear protection.
--
Bshaddle

I am much too cheap for a remote. I just put a switch in line with the supply. Seems to do well. I have another for my vacuum.

Jet offers some dust collectors with remote and timer switches. Mine has it. It was about $50 more for the ones with the remote.
I use a simple system of strings through screw in "eyed screw ins" attached to the main switch. It runs overhead around the shop (like the buzzer on a bus). It has worked well for five years. Cheers, JG

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message

turning
Rockler remote control, with the remote in an apron pocket ... the mother of convenience.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/21/06