Dust collector and small tools?

I have a circular saw, sander, and router all of which have or could have 1" dust collection ports.

Can I use adapters to reduce a 4" dust collector duct to a smaller hose for these (4" -> 2.5" -> 1") or can I only use these with a shop vac?

Reply to
Drew Eckhardt

bridger

You can use a DC, but the Shop Vac will work better with such a small hose. Also, the vac can be equipped with a HEPA filter for ~$20, so it'll keep more of the tiny dust inside.

Sears has an "Auto Switch" for about $20 that will turn the vacuum on and off with the tool. It's well worth the money.

Barry (who owns a decent DC, but still connects his ROS, biscuit joiner, etc... to the Shop Vac)

Reply to
Ba r r y

In general, no. Typical 4" dust collectors are a high volume low speed device. Vacuum cleaners use higher velocities, even though their smaller hoses are moving much less mass flow in total. Even if you make up the clumsy adapter you'll find that performance is very disappointing trying to use one of these low velocity multi-horsepower DCs instead of a tiny vacuum cleaner.

I have a small 4" that I use for the thicknesser and a few home-built cyclones that I power from various cheap workshop vacuum cleaners. Although I built a whole new lid to suit the 4" machine, it's dismal when trying to drive the cyclone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Tue 28 Dec 2004 08:12:16p, Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's my experience too. The DC works great on the tablesaw but the bandsaw and the miter saw both have small ports and the shop vac works better for both of them. Next year there'll be a hood behind the miter saw and a new four-inch hole in the back of the bandsaw, and they'll use the DC but for now it's the shop vac.

Reply to
Dan

snipped-for-privacy@revolt.poohsticks.org (Drew Eckhardt) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@revolt.poohsticks.org:

I don't know about the circular saw and router, but the reducer works very well for me on my Porter-Cable 333 sander. Keeps the dust way way down.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Yes! These things are great, although my shop vac has this delayed auto on/off feature built in.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online! WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Woodcrafter

What level of filtration are your DC bags? If they're 30 micron, the sanding dust may be coming right through them.

The dust generated by the ROS can be incredibly fine.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Ba r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

1um bags from Penn State.
Reply to
Nate Perkins

Way mo' better!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Ba r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They are pretty good. I see that Penn State has some new 0.5um canister refits. I've been thinking about trying one of those out.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I just picked up a canister filter. Although it's only advertised to

2 microns, I just don't have the ceiling space for a large cloth bag. The canister provides for a very noticeable increase in flow.

If I had the room, I'd go for big cloth bags in a minute.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Ba r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This is the one I was thinking of. Is it the same as the one you are using?

if anyone has experience with this canister upgrade.

Thanks, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

2 HP Jet units. Jet rates the canister @ 2 microns, not .05. With typical BS DC industry data, the Jet and PSI units may or may not use the same filter media.

I look at CFM and particle size specs with a healthy grain of salt, no matter who's selling it.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Ba r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're right ... good advice.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I forgot to add that the canister did provide a large increase in flow over the old bags. You can probably do the same for less money with large bags, but I only have 7 foot ceilings.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y