Dust Collector advice

HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to have a CFM of 2760. It comes with an adapter to provide 3, 3 3/4", ports. Of course, the adapter can be despensed with and you can jury rig any size port you want.
Now for the question. My shop drops, on my current DC system are 4" PVC and the DC "supposedly" has a CFM of 1200. Could I run something rated at twice what I am currently using on those 4"pipes? If so, would there be a degradation in effeciency?
I am currently running just the impeller and motor unit of a HF dust collector and routing it through a cyclone and venting the dust outside the shop in a little, specially built, "outhouse" What I was thinking of doing is just buying the motor and impeller (less than $200) and replacing the existing blower.
Deb

99dB? Wow!

There will certainly be a degradation in efficiency, but it still may be better than what you have now. ...if you can somehow call 99dB "better".

Your dust just goes outside? No filter? I thought about doing that, but thought the neighbors would get out the torches. ;-) Instead, I'm leaning towards putting my shop over the garage and leave the DC (Penn State ordered - not shipped yet :-( ) down in the garage with the compressor.

If the HF DC runs at 99dB... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98872
Does that mean this one will also run at 99dB? http://www.lagunatools.com/dustcollector-platinum3

With the exception of the collection bags, the two systems look identical.
nb
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:56:21 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

Could be, but I'll never find out. 70dB is more in line with reality.
All dust collection questions are to be taken to the God of DC Bill Pentz. Read from his wisdom and learn.
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
Interesting note, living in California I never worried about it but I have heard that venting to the outside can evacuate all of the heat from your shop and that can be an issue in colder clims.

Dr. Deb wrote:

I noticed the 99db level, but I can wall it off to reduce the overall effect of the noise. The main thing I am interested in is the effeciency. Would I be better off using the $200 to take my wife out for a really nice dinner or upgrading the DC?
I know, it is impossible to tell until I do it. But Scripture says, "There is wisdom in many counslors." :-)
Deb
Dr. Deb wrote:

Now /that's/ a tough question. What's the db reading on your wife?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

My thoughts exactly... then again if you leave the collector on it may drown out the other...
Morris Dovey wrote:

Actually, the wife is about 30db. So using the DC to drown her out is really serious over kill. ;-)
Deb

You really shouldn't say things like that in a public forum. Next you're going to be tell us about the one-armed man...
On 08/27/2009 12:23 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

That unit has 5 micron bags, which isn't great. It also needs far more filter area to work properly. A rough calculation shows the filters to be undersized by at least a factor of 4 for the nominal airflow.
Chris
By this chart, I wouldn't buy anything rated at 99db, no matter how good the (perceived) deal.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
jc