Dust Collector advice

HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to have a CFM of 2760. It comes with an adapter to provide 3, 3 3/4", ports. Of course, the adapter can be despensed with and you can jury rig any size port you want.

Now for the question. My shop drops, on my current DC system are 4" PVC and the DC "supposedly" has a CFM of 1200. Could I run something rated at twice what I am currently using on those 4"pipes? If so, would there be a degradation in effeciency?

I am currently running just the impeller and motor unit of a HF dust collector and routing it through a cyclone and venting the dust outside the shop in a little, specially built, "outhouse" What I was thinking of doing is just buying the motor and impeller (less than $200) and replacing the existing blower.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

99dB? Wow!

There will certainly be a degradation in efficiency, but it still may be better than what you have now. ...if you can somehow call 99dB "better".

Your dust just goes outside? No filter? I thought about doing that, but thought the neighbors would get out the torches. ;-) Instead, I'm leaning towards putting my shop over the garage and leave the DC (Penn State ordered - not shipped yet :-( ) down in the garage with the compressor.

Reply to
keithw86

All dust collection questions are to be taken to the God of DC Bill Pentz. Read from his wisdom and learn.

HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to hav= e a

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If the HF DC runs at 99dB...

that mean this one will also run at 99dB?

Limp Arbor

identical.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I noticed the 99db level, but I can wall it off to reduce the overall effect of the noise. The main thing I am interested in is the effeciency. Would I be better off using the $200 to take my wife out for a really nice dinner or upgrading the DC?

I know, it is impossible to tell until I do it. But Scripture says, "There is wisdom in many counslors." :-)

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Now /that's/ a tough question. What's the db reading on your wife?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

My thoughts exactly... then again if you leave the collector on it may drown out the other...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That unit has 5 micron bags, which isn't great. It also needs far more filter area to work properly. A rough calculation shows the filters to be undersized by at least a factor of 4 for the nominal airflow.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

By this chart, I wouldn't buy anything rated at 99db, no matter how good the (perceived) deal.

Reply to
Joe

Actually, the wife is about 30db. So using the DC to drown her out is really serious over kill. ;-)

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

You really shouldn't say things like that in a public forum. Next you're going to be tell us about the one-armed man...

Reply to
keithw86