Dust collector

After much soul searching , speck reading and lurking around tool houses I have decided to buy the following dust collector: Grizzly 10292z Unless some one can come up with a good reason to avoid it. Thanks for any insight in this matter. Alternate Dust collector choice was PSI DC 2000. The Jet and Delta offerings were rejected early on into the research.
I have it and I am generally happy. Its my 1st DC so I have nothing to compare it to. I do want a remote starter though. Right now I just hook it up to whichever tool I am using. I really need to equip everything with blast gates (Automatic would be nice)

Go for it. I too have one, my first also,

2000.
That Grizzly really sucks. What I mean to say is it works well, just couldn't resist.
I can guarentee that the cheap metal braces that hold up bag unit (the only silver parts in the picture). do give out after a while. We have one that was welded back once and is broke again. We'll probably just rig something up. We have it hooked up to a Unisaw full time and open a gate for a RAS and sliding bevel saw along the same wall. It works great.
It getes emptied a few times week so maybe your braces will last longer but they are a weak design. I'd still buy it for the price.
Finally, why did you ruloe out the Jet and Delta?
BW
I have a 1 hp generic. It works using one tool at a time, however I have all of my tools hooked up and on blast gates with automatic remote control on/off operation. I hook it up to any tool, including the table saw, and once that power tool is turned on, the DC comes on until the power tool is turned off. Yes, I finally built the dust collection hood for my Delta 10" open stand table saw. And yes guys, it uses a 2-1//2" dust collection hose. If you are interested in how I did this,you can e-mail me. I hope to have pictures on my site "How My Shop Works" for those who are interested in dust collection using a 2-1/2" collection hose.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Sweet, can you give a breakdown on your decision making? I'm leaning towards the PSI - what edged you to Griz (which I've never considered, btw). Why did you rule out Jet & Delta?
Thanks, Chris
Sweet Sawdust wrote:

houses I

for any

2000.

Price, for me, drove me to Griz. A DC, in my mind, doesn't call for the highest level of Quality Control.
Reasons for ruling out Jet and Delta were that they had a lower CFM and static pressure and higher price, both have dealers that are over 100 miles from me so service and warranty help is nonexistent. The machines I have purchased from delta that needed service are now scrap metal due to nonexistent support, Grizzly has always provided me with excellent support. The Jet was tempting but cost was a little high. When I called PSI to check on the machine the tech there gave me little or no information but only wanted to sell me a $200 higher machine, left a bad first impression. The Grizzly tech went over layout and usage of machine, problems and possible solutions and upgrades that I could make at a later date if needed. While the tech from PSI was probably right in his appraisal of what I need the Grizzly tech was more in line with what I could afford and how to use the equipment now and upgrade later as needed. When I looked at the specs and costs for the machines Grizzly, PSI and Harbor freight ($150 for 2 hp machine similar specs to Grizzly) came out on top followed by jet and then Delta. When I took service (from my own experience and from reputations) Grizzly,PSI and Jet topped the list.When I put cost+specs+service+personal feelings Grizzly came out on top slightly above PSI (HF sort of fell off the page there somewhere) Maybe not the most scientific way to do things but it's my way.

any
I bought the Grizz and love it! I added a remote control switch rather than automatic blast gates, mainly due to cost and need. Love that also .
Just MHO,
Vic
Sweet Sawdust wrote:

houses I

for any

2000.
Before you buy you really ought to read Bill Pentz's cyclone dust collector web site. The man has done a ton of research and I think you'll change your mind about the Grizzly after reading. I know I wish I would have read his stuff before buying mine. The web address is: http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm Good luck. BC
The average person doesn't have the big bucks needed to shell out for a cyclone system. One could buy 2 to 3 Grizz's for the price of a good cyclone system.

Get the benefits of both in one unit. (Amazon.com product link shortened)12098094/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/102-9896919-6347328?v=glance&s=hi

I just picked up a ShopFox 1.5 hp with 30 micron bags from my local dealer, it was $179. Then I ordered a filter up grade kit from Wynn Environmental for $118(poly spun filter washable). It took about 10 min. to install the kit and it works great for under $300. All this info came from Bill Pentz site on dust collection. I may go for a cyclone in the future but it doesn't seem practical when I'm still hooking up 1 machine at a time .
Andrew
George wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)12098094/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/102-9896919-6347328?v=glance&s=hi
Consider lifting the motor etc. off that metal garbage can in order to empty it. Now figure out where you're going to put the motor etc. while you empty the metal garbage can. Now figure the cost of a chiropractor. . .
If it isn't easy to empty the can it won't get emptied as often as it should. When it doesn't get emptied as often as it should the impeller will take some abuse and the cartridge filter will clog. When the cartridge filter clogs . . .

(Amazon.com product link shortened)12098094/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/102-9896919-6347328?v=glance&s=hi
Been doing it for a dozen years with my Delta, and I consider myself as lazy, if not lazier than the next guy. Helps to have two cans, so you move from one to the other, though.