Dust Collector??

I work as a woodshop teacher. We are looking to purchase a good dust collection system. We have about $6000.00 to spend. I was wondering if anyone would suggest one main unit and run a series of lines or smaller units hooked up to the machines. We would also like to keep the noise down. We have 2 miter saws, a jointer, a planer, 2 table saws, 2 bandsawws, and lots of handsanding is done. Any help would be appreciated.
k wrote:

Do you need to filter the air and return it inside or can you blow away the fine dust?
Have you called the industrial dust collection manufacturers (Belfab, Oneida, Torit, Felder, etc.) to see what they suggest?
With single stage smaller units you'll be emptying them all the time and they typically don't filter as well. They'll also be noisier as you can't put them outside like you can with a single large unit.
You'll likely have multiple machines running at once so you'll need a fairly large collector if you go with one main unit.
You may want to ask this on the dust collection forum over on Woodweb, as they will likely have more experience with large-scale equipment.
http://woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/dust.pl
Chris
Definitely talk with the major manufacturers. I have an Onieda Gorillia cyclone in my home shop
http://www.oneida-air.com/newsite/index.php
Not only will they help you out with questions, if you send them a layout of the shop they will design the piping. They do tend to send piping by the box os if you have any left over you can send it back for a refund.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:36:20 -0800 (PST), k

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:36:20 -0800 (PST), k

I'd have to look at the shop to get a good idea. The miter saws and jointer may not need dust collection, but funneling the dust will help keep the floor clean. The planer, table saws and bandsaws should have dust collection. Bandsaws produce a lot of fine dust. Remote controls are nice. Look at the db ratings of DCs to keep noise levels down. Lots of hand brushes/brooms go a long way in a classroom. An air cleaner (or two) will help filter the air.
one 2 HP PennState DC - serves two table saws, $600 one 2 HP PennState DC - serves two band saws, $600 one 2 HP PennState DC - serves one planer and another machine, $600. two air cleaners, $1200 three remote controls, $250 metal blast gates, clear tubing, "Y" adapters, hose clamps, $200 brushes, brooms $350
*snip*

*snip*
Harbor Freight has very servicable "bench brush"es on sale now* for about $2.
*"now" means "last time I was in there", which was a couple days ago. Their promo is believed to be going on still, but it might not be.
Puckdropper
marching band.

You have received lots of good leads but be sure and take care of the liability and safety measures.
With this in mind the vendors that deal with the educational market will address the safety and liability issues.
Should you choose not to include these issues in your procurement process you will be leaving your personal and educational life in jeopardy. ie: Your license to teach. The procurement folks in the school office will be the best folks to do the actual procurement.
Bob AZ A Vendor to schools.