Dust collection with hand-held routers

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:33:20 -0400, B A R R Y wrote:

Thanks for that input, Barry.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Well now that you have the router table, do as much as you can there. I have a Triton router in my table which does have a shroud and a 1-1/4" port on the base. My dust collection goes to a Y with one side going to a port in the fence and the other reducing to 1-1/4 then going under the table to the port in the router base. Other than the odd chip that pops out it gets practically everything on edge routing, though I haven't tried to edge profile MDF.
If router table collection can be good I don't see why handheld can't be too with the right setup. I do so little handheld though that I usually just deal with the mess after rather than bother.
-Leuf
I've been following this and hoping / expecting that someone would bring up Festool. The reason for my interest is that I have been trying to justify the cost of their circular saw and rail system. One of my thoughts had been that I could add their router (with it's dust collection) in the future and that would be another use for the expensive rails. Is the dust collection on the Festool router less than advertised or was it just over looked? Swingman, Leon help!
Thanks JEP