Dust collection flex tubing, what's good?

Page 1 of 4
I have used a single 50 flex 4" diameter flex dust collection tubing (with an internal steel grounded wire) for all my machines for the past 15 years but now it is wearing out with many small holes. I have a 1.5 HP DC with a trash can cyclone. Are there any recommendations for replacement? I was looking at T-7 Santoprene tubing which is supposed to be good at abrasion and contains a steel wire which I can ground. It is about $4.50 a foot. Is this a good choice/value?

Rigid PVC for the long runs is a hell of a lot cheaper. Use the flex for connections and drops to the machines. .
This may be of interest,check it out, I have it and like it a lot!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberG911
Good luck
Jim

Edwin, One of the recent wood mags (not sure which one) says PVC is not good for DC. Just can't remember why not. I know it's easy to just glue up and you're ready, but I would like to know why PVC won't work.                     Mark L.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I hope you grounded that posting before you hit the send button. I don't want any of your static blowing up my hard drive.

You are still alive?You should have blown up long ago!! ;-) Greg
I thought it was some kind of a commie plot..... So 4" PVC it is :-)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Actually, it just occured to me that you *can* purchase electrically-conductive paint... probably in a spray, too. So you could make your PVC system grounded without needing wires in it.
... for those so concerned about grounding, that is.
- Joe
On 12 Jul 2004 21:52:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@emenaker.com (Joe Emenaker) wrote:

but you cannot, repeat cannot ground the cloud of dust. grounding the duct is like putting your belt on under your pants. it's a stupid waste of time.

it will explode....
<GD&R>

Remember that guy who strapped a JATO to his Chevy Impala out in AZ? He was a woodworker too, had ungrounded PVC dust collection in shop. It blew up one day.
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:21:40 GMT, "patrick conroy"

| | |> and you're ready, but I would like to know why PVC won't work.| | |Remember that guy who strapped a JATO to his Chevy Impala out in AZ? He was |a woodworker too, had ungrounded PVC dust collection in shop. It blew up one |day. |
Folks, PVC is an insulator. You CAN NOT GROUND an insulator. If you could, you would not be reading this message because none of our computers (or anything else electronic) would be working.
Repeat after me:
"I cannot ground PVC" "I cannot ground PVC" "I cannot ground PVC" "I cannot ground PVC" "I cannot ground PVC" "I cannot ground PVC" "I cannot ground PVC" "I cannot ground PVC" .....

Can I just sit in detention instead?

Yes, PVC is more a dielectric. That said, one puts wire through the ducts so that it "collects" the charge that is generated by the movement of the air/wood through the duct. You ground the wire to dissipate the "static charge".
So while PVC doesn't "conduct", it can generate "Static electricity" under the right circumstances. That is what you're collecting and grounding.
--
Thanks,

Ham

How many places per foot do you have to anchor the ground wire to the PVC to dissipate the charge?
Hint. This is a trick question.

an infinite number.......

Precisely. Which, I suppose, is tantamount to saying the wire is ineffective.
My 4" hose has a wire helix inside, and it grows dust in the winter.
Check the tables here for some good info. http://www.esdsystems.com/training/staticgeneration.htm

nope.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Yup.