Dust collection filter vibrators for cleaning?

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake or impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter pleats?

turn that knocks the dust out of the filters? I have seen this done in a shop.
yes. but I dont have that. I would like to add a vibrator that I could put on a timer to shake the filter twice a day or so.

Not that I know of. Like the other poster stated there are drum types where you rotate a handle to dislodge the caked dust to the bottom. Some caking in the pleats actually helps the filtering effect so you need not be too concerned. What is very important is locating leaks in your DC system.
the rotating handle are pre built into the filter. I do not have that kind of filter. Its similiar but without the handle. I can tap of the outside of the filter, or blow air outside to in to break up the dust cakes and I can see them drop into the clear plastic bag below the filter. But I was hoping for to put something on that might do this chore on a routine automated way.

(snip) I would like to add a vibrator that I could put on a timer to shake the filter twice a day or so.
Therein lies the answer to the question........;) --dave

trs80, wrote the following at or about 4/11/2007 12:52 PM:

Assuming that you do have the cartridge type filter without the internal flapper, it shouldn't be all that hard to replicate the flapper system found on the Jet/Dust Dog filters.
As for automating it? Why bother? You're making a major project out of something that should only be done once in a great while anyways. Consider also that if you automate the process, you should probably include a circuit that will prevent it from cycling while the DC is powered up (Surely won't knock anything loose when it's running). Then too you will be cleaning it far more times than is probably necessary and I suspect you can count on a short-lived filter canister.
Study what the Jet/Dust Dog uses to clean it and see if you can replicate it and then leave well enough alone.
Unquestionably Confused wrote: <trim>

I find that when shaking/knocking the canister doesn't work enough, I use a small hand-broom (think old-fashioned curling broom) to knock off the dust. Works great, dirt cheap, will never break/clog.
-- Dekker www.WoodworkDetails.com

Mount an old ROS to the filter and plug the sander into a christmas tree light timer. The ROS works for me but I have not automated it as of yet.
great tip. Ill give it a try. thanks

trs80 wrote:
> Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake > or > impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter > pleats?
Of course.
Usually pneumatically operated, quite common on bag houses used in cement plants, coal fired utilities, etc.
Requires some rather large scale to be economically viable.
As for a small home shop system, a broom handle comes to mind.
Lew
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:16:19 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Or hit the garage sales and flea markets for one of the massagers that you strapped onto your wrist. Then you could hook it up to a "Clapper".
Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /

house on the asphalt plants use reverse air flow to clean the bags. Close off one section at a time and puff some are thru with a fan. 600 bags 8 feet long 8 inch diamater. how is that for a dust collector. Virgle
Such vibrators do exist, but I have not seen one, only heard of them. A close friend was a maintenance electrician at the TXI Cement plant in TX where huge dust collection required shaking that couldn't be done manually. He spoke of vibratory shakers. Also, I have used vibrators of the type concrete people use to work out "holidays" during the pour. Lots of other options in vibrators. Easiest thing to make with an eccrentic cam. I am always open to finding ways to save time with automation if possible, as things get crazy during rush jobs and I don't have time to mess with maintenance until afterwards.
| Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake or | impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter pleats? | |

hoseclamp this to the bag support and put it on a timer.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId11765698
scott

Need a vibrator?
http://www.vibco.com /

Looks like this is a session link. Search for Grainger item 3M564.
scott

thank you

Scott Lurndal wrote:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemKey=3X501&BaseItem=3X798
Now THIS is interesting ... looks like I could substitute it for my Reeves drive pulley.
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

Yes...but NOT on smaller(cheap) DC systems. THe larger commercial units do have a feature to keep the filters clear. I doubt you would want to pay for that feature.