dust collection ducting

Page 1 of 5
Hi guys I have done my googling and web research,gone to the library and looked in the books and have read all the opinion on the type of ducting to use.And I am befuddled. I have a grizzly 1 1/2 hp dust collector (110v) if any of you are using this type of collector what type of ducting are you using? and how many inlets are you able to use?
thanks Len
leonard wrote:

looked in

use.And I

of you

and how

Like most other things, it depends a lot on what you want to do with your system, how safe you want to be, and how much you want to spend.
Concerning duct materials, spiral metal duct seems to be the top of the line solution. Penn State sells it, among others. Rather pricy, but there you are. You can check it out at www.pennstateind.com. Many people, myself included, use flexible plastic dust hose. This comes in many different varieties, including self-grounding. In general, plastic dust hose is more difficult to ground than metal. Why ground at all? To prevent a possible dust explosion. Nasty business, that. Commercial shops will almost always use metal ducting.
How many inlets can you have open? Again, what do you want to do? Will you run several machines at once or only one at a time? How far is your DC from your machines? Short answer - you can have as many inlets open at a time as you want, but each additional opening will reduce the overall performance of the system. (less suck).
If you have a small DC, you can roll it up next to whatever machine you are using at the time, minmizing duct run, maximizing suck. If you want to run several machines at once, that's a different story and will probably call for a more permanent installation.
As for personal experience, I use translucent plastic 4" hose, grounded, and I have 5 machine drops. I have blast gates on each branch and at each machine. This system seems to work well for me. I like the translucent hose because I can see if and where blockages occur. I'm thinking of switching to spiral metal duct, though. I like the durability of the metal duct.
A couple of hints. If you use the plastic blast gates, be aware that dust can accumulate in the corners, preventing full closure of that gates. This can be remedied easily by snipping off the bottom corners of the blast gate housing.
Finally, I recommend you pick up one of the "Long Ranger" type DC remotes.
Not a necessity, but real nice to have.
I hope at least some of this diatribe makes sense to you. Good Luck, Gus

That was a really great post except for the above. Pure, utter nonsense.
When you can produce evidence of a single home shop dust explosion in a plastic pipe ducted system, I will gladly retract my statement.
I suggest you checl this link before repeating such blather:
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=shop&file=articles_221.shtml
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

Better safe than sorry, old boy.
Grounding is cheap and easy so why not?
I realize the subject has been discussed here ad nauseum and I don't intend to add to that.
If you don't want to ground then don't.
Lighten up
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:59:46 -0500, Steve Decker

Sorry how? "Better-safe-than-sorry" is only reasonable advice when there is a possibility, even remote possibility of an event occuring. In the cas of a single home shop dust explosion in a plastic pipe ducted system there is ZERO chance. In such a case, better safe than sorry is just a pitiful justification for the ignorant to continue their ignorance.

Because it's unnecessary and unproductive. Do you sprinkle cream of tartar on your saw before you work? Why not? It's cheap and easy.

Yet you did.

That's fine. But people shouldn't be report as gospel a circumstance when there's no data to support its existance.

I'll "lighten up" when ignorance on this subject is eradicated. Your promotion of it necessitates rebuttal. When it's no longer necessary there'll be no activity of mine up from which to lighten.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

LRod wrote:

Zero chance?
Obviously you are omniscient as well as a crank.
If you won't lighten up, then get bent.
Steve Decker wrote:

Sorry about the double posting.
I slipped on the Cream of Tartar.
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:35:33 -0500, Steve Decker
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=shop&file=articles_221.shtml

Laws of physics. Fairly immutable. Read the article. The author was unable to replicate an explosion with any kind of air/dust/spark combination in common PVC pipe. So if you can't do it when you're trying, how is there any chance to do it accidently? Zero chance.

Obviously. I repeat my challenge: when you can produce evidence of a single home shop dust explosion in a plastic pipe ducted system, I will gladly retract my statement.
In the meantime, maybe the tin foil hat will help.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

You, sir, are a Grade-A jerkweed.
Congratulations.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:22:36 -0500, Steve Decker
I'm not the one perpetuating the dust-explosion-in-a-home-shop-system myth. You're going to have to look elsewhere to apply that apellation, I fear. Start real close.

Not at all. The congratulations go to the person who changed the discussion from an exposition of facts to one of ad hominem attacks. Again, look real close.
You're obviously one of those "last word" guys, so I'll let you have it. My work here is concluded.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
When someone says "zero chance", that's an exposition of opinion, or hope, not facts.

What are the chances of that bucket of water sitting in the garage bursting into flames?
Zero.
Not hope.
Not opinion.
Fact.
There is no mechanism known to man or supportable by any area of science that can give one scintilla of credence to the possibility of that bucket of water bursting into flames.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Well, since I can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed man, I'll sign off.
Gus
LRod wrote: ...

Well, the conclusion of the article is to quote..
"...home shop DC explosions are somewhere between extraordinarily rare and nonexistent."
That is <not> precisely zero...
While rare, railing at such extremes is just not warranted...
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:23:12 -0600, Duane Bozarth

Oh, WELL. I stand corrected.
Given, however, that my point was that it was fruitless to expend resources in pursuit of "preventing" an occurance that is "somewhere between extraordinarily rare and nonexistent," it seems I've been vindicated.
Picking fly shit out of pepper over whether it's actually zero or just really, really close to it is to obscure the bigger truth.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote: ...

That could have been done in a much less combative way and in all likelihood been more effectively received...

Instead of arguing over this stuff, do what I do. before cutting or planing any wood, I spray it with Static Guard. So far I've never had an explosion.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ed always has a common sense, Yankee way of solving problems.
I'm suprised Ralph Engerman hasn't weighed in on the static issue.
Barry
LRod wrote:

Not really.
Making statements like "zero chance" obscures truth very nicely.
That, and your "bucket of water" example was truly laughable.
Homer