Dust collection/Cyclone lid

Page 1 of 2
Like most other people I'm continually trying to find ways to improve the dust situation in my small shop. Right now I have a King dust collector installed with 4" piping to the tools that does a pretty good job (similar to Delta/jet etc.). In their catalog, Lee Valley lists cyclone lids that fit trash cans and from what they say I'm thinking it's an easier way to "take out the garbage" plus I wouldn't have to empty/clean the collector dust bags as often and it would mean an even more efficient system. On the negative side it might mean more demand on the air suction to the collector. Here's what they say:
"Capacity is a problem in every dust collection system, but particularly in small shop systems. This cyclone lid will let you sidetrack up to 99% of jointer/planer shavings and lesser amounts of fine dust (such as from sanding) to a barrel or trashcan. It lets you convert a standard shop vacuum into a high-capacity dust collector. In fact, if your shop vacuum draws 6 amps or more, you can use it with our dust collection network to power a complete collection system. If you have a lower-powered vacuum (less than 6 amps), you can still use it with the cyclone on a single machine, such as a planer."
I would use this with my current system between the trash can cyclone and the input to the collector...... Has anyone tried this and if so, what do you think ??
Keith P
Keith wrote:

I'm a little confused by your plan. My understanding of the usual setup is that people put one of these cyclone lids / trashcans between their dust collector and their sawdust producing tool. Aside from allowing an easier way to dump most of your waste, it protects your collector's impellor by snatching the chips before they hit the impellor's blades. Only the finest of dust makes it to your dust collector itself; the bulk of the sawdust ends up in the trashcan.
I'm actually seriously considering doing this myself. There are several deals around for less than $300 that will provide between 1150-1500 cfm, a 1 micron bag, and wired for either 110 or 220. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to bite the bullet and get an electrician to add more 220 service to the garage.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Added the trash can lid years ago. Doesn't reduce the capacity of the system that I can tell and definitely makes disposal a lot nicer. Only have to empty/clean the bags once in a blue moon.
bob g. (I also added the 0.5 micron bags. Wife is convinced it puts a lot less dust into the house.)
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I've got one on my system and it works reasonably well as long as the trash can is less than 3/4 full after that a lot of the shavings etc get carried over to the dust collector bag. Get a large plastic trash can you will get a better seal between the lid and the can, the less air you have being sucked around the lid the more efficient it will work. You still need to dump the trash can into a bag for disposal which is a bit of a pain.
Before I got the lid the grate at the inlet to the impeller on the dust collector was constantly getting plugged when I used the planer or jointer, This doesn't happen any more.
Rick

the
collector.
in
vacuum
6
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:21:33 -0400, "RKG"

I could not find a plastic can that was the right size so I ended up with a traditional metal can. I did buy some basic rubber weather stripping w/ the adhesive backing and put that around the inside if the lid where it meets the can. That makes a great seal - so good that I wait for the DC to spin down before pulling off the top to check the contents.
I got mine from Grizzly for 2/3 the Lee Valley price -- $30 vs. $47 -- and now Grizzly has its on sale for less than 1/2 the LV price - $20: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3376
Even so, if I had it to do over again I might spring for the extra $$ for the clear lid that Lee Valley sells. Then again, I may eventually make one so that I can get the chips to fall into one of those stiff paper leaf/line bags -- the kind that stand on their own. -- Igor
I line the trash can with a plastic bag. I was afraid it would get sucked up into the DC. Doesn't happen. I have a steel band with a spring loaded clamp around the side of the trash can which is galvanized in my case. Plastic might give a better seal, I don't know. But the bag stays down in the can and fills like you would want. You do want to empty before it's too full or everything will pass right on through.
bob g.
RKG wrote:

Thanks Bob I had figured the bag would get sucked into the hoses and never tried it. I'll give that a try it would definitely save some strain on the back.
Rick

the
(similar
that
6
than
as
and
do
bob -- I tried a plastic bag w/ my grizzly lid over a 30 gal metal trash can and the bag DID get sucked into the lid. I have an idea for a solution but have not tried it yet. Whose/what brand cyclone lid do you have? -- Igor

Lid says Woodstock International WI049
Maybe my plastic bag is just waiting its chance. :-)
bob g.
igor wrote:

Lid says Woodstock International WI049
Maybe my plastic bag is just waiting its chance. :-)
bob g.
igor wrote:

Tried it and the bag immediately got sucked into the hose. Also tried the weatherstripping that Igor mentioned and it seems to have improved the suction. Oh well one suggestion worked for me and one didn't, still ahead..
Rick

the
(similar
that
6
than
as
and
do
Keith wrote:

Keith...
I have a pair of the large cyclone lids (you can see the setup on my web site at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dust_collection.html ) and it works quite well. I haven't needed to empty the DC bag since installation. (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Nick Bozovich wrote:

Nick...
It's my first and only dust collector - so I don't have much I can compare it to. It's definitely more quiet than my ShopVac. Its sole job is to eat the dust from a (really quiet) 5hp router usually running between 90 and 150 inches/minute (depending on bit, depth of cut, and material). I did a 3-1/2 hour continuous cutting job on a single piece of MDF a while back with the shop all closed up - and there wasn't even a detectable haze. I doubt that's exceptional behavior; but I've been happy with the performance
One of the things I like most about my cobbled-up system is that *nothing* gets as far as the dust collector - it all ends up in the drums. FWIW, I empty the drums as soon as there's ten gallons or so of dust inside. I understand that the fuller they're allowed to become, the more dust will flow through to the DC.
I splurged to get the transparent cyclone lids and found that makes it a lot easier for a lazy person like myself to check the drums. For me, the clear tops have been worth the extra cost. B'sides, it's fun to watch 'em in action. (-8
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Nick Bozovich wrote:

Yesterday's discussion finally got me off the dime: I ordered a 1.5 HP DC2V2 dust collector along with a cyclone lid, muffler, various fittings, etc.; even a table saw overhead guard from Penn State Industries. Now all I have to do is pay for it.
Film at 11....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:56:50 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Dr. Schnerd -- Don't want to prematurely rain on your parade, but there was at least one thread some time back with people expressing disappointment with the overhead guard from PS. I recall this because I had really wanted to buy one. I'd appreciate your posting here about your experience w/ it.
I bought a PS DC and it sucks. I also use the trash can w/ cyclone lid (see comments above in this thread, if interested). I have had switch problems. The first switch stopped working -- it would flip back and forth but not "engage" - regardless of the insertion of the kid-safety part. They replaced it, no problem. While that one works, the snap-in fitting was broken when it arrived - on my to-do list to get a third switch.
Now that I read your post again, not sure if the overhead guard is all you bought from PS or if you got everything there. -- Igor
igor wrote:

1) I'm a nurse; not a doctor. I save taxes that way. <G> 2) Now you tell me. 3) Yep... bought it all from Penn State. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:19:41 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

So I've heard.

Well, I think they do have a decent return policy! Anyway, be sure to run the boom through its paces early on. (Sometimes the stuff I buy sits and I then have to hope there is no problem because the warranty has lapsed by the time I actually use the thing.) And, if you have good news about it to report, I may well spring for one. You can be "Mikey" in the Life cereal ad.

As I indicated, my experience with their support people is good - of course, I would prefer not to know this. And, with a bit of luck, you won't have to find out. -- Igor.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:19:41 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

BTW, one other thing that you may know already: Did you get sale prices on all the stuff you ordered? At the PS website if you go through the "standard" links to the items you ordered the sale prices are not shown. To see/get the sale prices you apparently have to get to the items via the "web specials" link. For example, the price of the boom TS guard is $200, but if you get to the item via the web specials page the price is currently $150. The sale links are also the ones that come in the e-mail if you are on the PS e-mail list. Again, you may know this but I thought it was worth a mention. -- Igor