Dust Collection: Bags Versus Canister Filters

I just bought the HF Dust Collector, ($128 with Sale and 20% Coupon) and I'm not even going to bother to install the 30 micron bags it comes with. I'm looking at a couple of canister filters from Wynn. They are both designed to fit the HF DC as well as the Jet and all of the other similar units.

are both far better in performance than the stock bags, obviously. I'm leaning towards the cheaper filter because it filters a smaller particle, (.5 vs 1.0 micron) and because I'm cheap. I haven't ordered it yet though and haven't really made up my mind. But the real question I have is how does a canister filter like this compare to a high quality bag that filters down to the same micron range? Which will allow for better airflow? With the Wynn canister setup it comes with a few plastic bags but if I went with the cloth bag setup would I have to use

2 of them, one on top and one on the bottom or would there be plenty of airflow with just a cloth bag on top and a plastic bag on the bottom? Would either of these cloth bag setups be equal to or better than the canister system with regards to air flow? This is the least expensive canister I've seen but it also doesn't have the flapper cleaner handle on top/inside and it fits inside of the DC rim versus on top of it. It's cleaned either by using compressed air from the outside of the filter or by reaching up inside the filter. It's roughly half of the price of the Penn State canister and some of the others I've seen. The rim of the HF DC is 19.5" and the Penn State filter is for a 20" diameter DC rim but it looks like the gasket of the filter is wide enough to still seat on the HF rim. Anyone here try the Penn State canister filter or any other brand on the HF DC? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bruce

Reply to
theblacksheep

The "wiper" on those other canisters are not going to get into the grooves which give the pleated filters all the air flow area. On mine, I occassionally give it a good wap with my hand to knock some fine dust down, sometimes spray it compressed air, and one time I took it off and rolled it around the driveway after I had forgotten to knock the dust out for a while.

Photo of out for a while:

very happy with the dust collector and the filter on top. I keep my various pieces of dust hose connectors on top and a nut driver in the donut area.

Someday I think about moving the motor to be vertical and give the exhaust a straight shot into the bag area so I can sort of get a chip collector under it. But that is many projects from now.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

It filters 30 microns until the first set of 20 micron particles lodge in the openings, then it filters finer until ... well, you get the picture. You can filter silt in a sieve with large openings if you use pebbles and sand first. Same thing with your bags. Dust cake is what it's called.

Then there's the meander filter method, which has felt bags or similar, where the pressure at any given point is so low, and the number of paths so many that stuff settles like dirt in a slow-moving river. Old GI wool blanket is a great choice for filter bags.

Reply to
George

I just read the using compressed air damages the filters. Since I don't have one, I have no opinion...

Reply to
Toller

I don't think I need compressed air, so I've never used it.

The paddle "thumps" the filter as it turns. You can see tons of dust fall down into the bag after a spin in each direction.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I use the bags it came with, put a fan in the window and pick brown boogers.

Reply to
musials

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news:1130639357.137191.8710 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

oversized felt ones). The submicron bags are great, but the air flow drops noticeably as the bottom bag begins to fill.

I have also been considering the canister style filters, partly because of the increased surface area of the top bag and the convenience of using a disposable poly bottom bag.

Reply to
Nate Perkins