Dust collection

Page 1 of 2
Currently, I have a HF 1200CMF blower(off their larger dust collector) set up to draw through a cyclone and discharge outside the building into a small collection building. The draw of this unit is not bad, but I have 7 drops in the shop and would like to upgrade the airflow. The tubing in the shop is 4" PVC with flex hose going to each drop and metal blast gates from Lee Valley.
Now for the question: If I got another blower, built a manifold and had both blowers drawing out of the manifold, would my CFM be substantially increased? In addition, would the 4" pipe handle the increase or would I have to upgrade to 6"?
The reason I as is that American Woodworker has a coupon from HF with the whole dust collector at $139.95.
Thanks
Deb
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:19:35 -0500, the infamous Delbert Freeman

I'd run straight pipe to the drops with 45-degree junctions, limiting the flex hose and any 90-degree corners as much as possible.
And I'd set up the second sucker to half (or proper proportion of) the machines and have safer, more positive results than I'd get from a joining of the two systems.
With an outlet strip connected to each of two current sensors, turning on any machine would turn on the DC for that system.
For a join, I'd probably want 5" or 6" runs.
You never said how many machines you'd be running at the same time, but if you had two or more going concurrently, put them on different sucker systems.
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

If I read this correctly, you want one manifold and two DC's drawing from it. What you first have to do is find a way to keep one DC from sucking the opposite way through the other DC. I can see balance problems at times depending on what gates are open. IMO, you'd do better running two smaller systems rather than try to make a booster either series or parallel. In any case, larger pipe would be needed to do justice to the system.
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:19:35 -0500, Delbert Freeman

With two DCs, there is going to be a pull against each other. Dont think it is practical either. But as Ed mentioned, have two separate systems with shorter runs and implement anything that decreases turbulance.
I still move a short flex hose from one machine to another with a 1.5 HP PennState DC on wheels, just not powerful enough for a network of piping but does an effective job on one machine. My DC "upgrade" was the addition of a LongRanger remote 220v relay.

I concur. Playing dueling DCs is not recommended. Rather than spending money on another DC, it would be better to go to 6" pipe for the main run. 6"x4" Ys aren't cheap, though.

I have their 2HP collector. I'm debating whether to put pipe around the new shop or just do what you're doing.

Love mine. I have one remote hanging from a magnetic hook stuck to the bottom of my saw and another I carry around for other tools.
Larry

Adapters/Blast gates available at Rockler.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page0200 http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "123
CYA Steve

The link above is what I'm looking for, however, I stood in front of the isle containing these adapters for 30 minutes and it seemed there were no 2 adapters that fit together.
After I posted the original message I stumbled onto the following. Anyone have any experience with this?
http://woodworker.com/sitenews/fazlok.html

Do those come with clamps? Did you see the notice about electrical grounding? <bseg>
I finally got more blast gates and put hoses to each machine, with a separate movable hose for the floor drop and mortise machine top suck.
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson

Not even going there. Troll....

Oops, you misattributed that to me. I only replied, teasing about the grounding notice.
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson
wrote in

I'm pretty damn sure nothing was misattributed. I've seen those "grounding" threads go on for weeks. I sure as hell ain't gonna be the one that starts another one of them...
Larry

I didn't post the Fazlok link or the encapsulating text.

Let's hope not. <g>
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson
wrote in

I obviously didn't make myself clear. The accusation was the mention of trolling for comments on grounding should have been followed by a smiley...

Welllllll, why didn't you just _say_ so? ;)
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson
On 3/3/2012 10:38 PM, Larry wrote:

I've not found this problem, other than they have a bunch of different sizes so they don't all fit together.
Anyway, I've used Fernco plumbing fittings to connect 3" schedule 40 to 2 1/2 DC hose. The nice thing about Fernco is they come with stainless steel hose clamps that can be adjusted for tight or loose fit.
HD sells them, as will about every plumbing and HW store on earth, and they are generally less than Rockler fittings, and far better quality than plastic fittings for the purpose, and often a good bit cheaper in price:
http://tinyurl.com/83kutgo
Take a fitting with you to insure the right size.
--
Jack
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

That's kinda what I want but not interested in building it and would rather buy something that works. When you consider the cost of gas and the number of trips to the hardware store, not to mention the wasted time, if I can buy something for less than $50 I've probably saved money.

$50 is about what I spent to make a simple system with 4" PVC pipe, a few fittings and flex hose. You do it once and done. The pipe for mine just hangs from the rafters. You can do it with one trip to the hardware store and avoid years of frustration that you now have.

I've been looking into this issues too... I've got one of these http://www.pennstateind.com/store/N-QCMSET4.html but it doesn't fit the dust port on my bandsaw or thickness planer (which are straight steel, not tapered) nor does it stay on the dust port for the jointer (tapered plastic). It works fine on the table saw port (steel) and on the CMS station I built with stock plastic fittings...
I came across this one http://www.pennstateind.com/store/N-QCMSET4.html which may work. However, the one on-line review isn't very favorable. Don't know if it is an isolated problem or the norm.
John

Waaaay overkill. Here's my dollar and a quarter 4" quick-disconnect: http://www.acefactorystore.com/proddetail.asp?prodA00723&cat 6

When that $1.25 hose clamp blows off of your DW735 planer and covers your wife with planer shavings you'll be looking for another solution too. ;o}
Larry