Dust collection

I'm currently designing a dust collection system for home shop, I've made the 'ShopVac' mistake! It looks cool and vacuums great but isn't a collector!

I like the Oneida units but want a little advice. Price Vs performance.. what do I really need? Is there and Candian distribution for Oneida et al?

Thanks

Reply to
BoB

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Hi Bob, I have the 1.5 hp unit and it will handle my needs very well. I use blast gates and never use more than two tools at a time. I ordered directly from Oneida and they had it delivered to my door. You do not pay NY state tax if you order it out of state but you must pay GST and maybe PST now before it can leave the sufferance warehouse. There is no duty on them but someone (you or a broker ) must fill in the customs form. Cheers, JG

ps- if you have the room get > I'm currently designing a dust collection system for home shop, I've made

Reply to
JGS

Bob, the other thing to remember is that the filtration rate of the filter will effect the overall efficency of you unit. A lot of folks "poo poo'd" the claim by Harbor Freight that their unit would deliver 1,600 CFM. Given that they were using two bags (one filter the other collection) that were identical (stopping the big chunks) they had a huge, very porous, filter system that gave almost no resistance to the air stream. I put an 18 sq ft felt filter bag on it, with a plastic collection bag, and the CFM dropped to about 600. I am going to increase the size of the felt bag up to about

38 SQ ft,which should raise my CFM to about 1,200.

The reason I mention all this, you need to remember, it is the dust UNDER 3 microns that gets you. The stuff over you nasal hair filters out.

Deb

BoB wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Obviously the "Dr." studied some other anatomy and physiology. I learned that mucus could hold _any_ size particle save the largest. Further, the body, irritated by an excessive amount, initiates purges in the form of a runny nose or sneeze. An excess of _any_ size particle which can get airborne can overwhelm the body's defenses. Which is the key to the dust problem - gather as much as you can to give your body the best chance.

Oh yes, and if you can stand it, don't trim your nose hair. A bit of a pre-trap (not filter) when it has some snot on it....

Reply to
George

O A lot of folks "poo poo'd"

you will never get 1200 out of it unless it has a 3hp motor and a 14" fan. a bigger better felt bag will help. but it needs to be really big. Mine was about

30sf for 1200cfms. but I never got that much out of it. I got almost the full flow. when I first got the bag it would not even inflate. but fine sawdust took care of that. I took that blower (jet 2hp) and put it on my cyclone. I got far more airflow once I got two of the torrit cartridge filters.
Reply to
Steve Knight