dust collection

In some previous posts, some people have put together 'home grown' dust collectors using various blower systems including furnace fans. I picked up a furnace fan and will do the home grown system this winter.

Meanwhile, I went searching for home made dust collectors and came across one that is more of an air filter. A simple 20" box fan with a furnace filter in behind, held in place with elastic bands. I went out and blew 33$ on the fan and bought a fine paper filter (2 pac) 9$ and a washable green fiber mesh one 6$ and set it up. Sandwiched the paper filter between the fan and green mesh filter on the intake side. Green mesh filter is there to catch the bigger lumps and all held together with 2 elastic bands . Amazingly, for the low volume of air that actually passes through the fan with filters in the way, it clears the air of fine dust very quickly. I may have to buy another setup just for the air flow alone.

Very quiet operation, pleasant breeze of sorts, portable and should be easy maintenance. Big plus is the low amount of free dust that settles on everything. Though this was worth passing on.

Pete

Reply to
cselby