Durable tread edges for laminate covered stairs?

Got a friend who has had severed damage to hardwood tread edging(no I don't know what kind of wood exactly, as HE doesn't) caused by his dog running up and down a staircase that's covered with Pergo. The store that he went to for advice was, unfortunately HD, where he was told the laminate companies don't make anything for outside edges that's durable like the flooring itself. He said it's become unsightly in less than a year. Anyone know of a durable material he could put on the edges of the stair steps to cover the seam between the tread and riser pieces of Pergo? BTW, the dog is a pit bull... Also, he said that the Pergo is still in perfect condition. reminds me of another thread earlier this week in which someone asked if laminate floors are more durable. Well, here's another testimony in favor of laminate.
dave
frickin' spell checker: make that "severe damage"
Bay Area Dave wrote:

snip
Cover the dog in Pergo, Dave. ;)

pixelated:

DFTFT
- - Let Exxon send their own troops - ------------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming
Hard to believe Pergo doesn't make a stair nosing.
If that is true, he can buy 5/16" oak stair nosing and chamfer the square edge, stain/finish to match and nail it down. Or he can buy a router and make his own. Or he could get smart, cut his losses and install real wood.
That dog wouldn't taste too bad with a little garlic and pepper......
M Hamlin

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
ah, thanks Ed. your post came up just as I answered MSH. I'll tell my friend.
dave