Dumpster diving, roadside finds and such

I ride bicycles usually on the road. I find small tools along side of the road, sometimes money or other trinkets. Here is a link to one bike riders score. Pretty epic and wood related. http://www.ritcheylogic.com/news.htm
Jim B.
I have found it interesting that so many woodworkers are also bicyclists.

The only problem is you can't carry much on a bicycle ;-(
If you plan to use the Doug Fir for flooring, make sure that you maintain a 'no shoes' house, and no dogs. Even old growth fir is soft for use and abuse type of flooring. Some tansu type cabinets on the other hand would be beautiful. robo hippy

That's because wood and gas cost so much. Vehicles are only used for going and getting the wood. :)
I'm in luck next week. I have to go to give a lunchtime address to a Rotary Club in a small town west of here. I told the boss that she needn't worry about renting a car for me. I would just take my pick-em-up truck and, while I was in the area, stop at Redwood Bay Lumber and load up.
Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Sounds like projection to me.... ;-)
I've done a fair amount of both. Have found a lot of stuff on the road too. On a 3,142 mile solo trip I found quite a number of tools (adjustable wrench, sockets, screwdriver, couple spring clamps, etc.) and a goodly chunk of money ($450). The money made it easier to justify another couple weeks on the road for side trips. The extra time surely contributed to my working at Colonial Williamsburg. I mostly ride off road now... mostly find deer, bears, coyotes, barred and great horned owls, beavers, and myriad other wildlife. Took the kids out Saturday evening to show them a turkey nest with 14 eggs... As concerns woodworking and mountain biking, I find myself looking at burls and wondering how I could get them!
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Wood and bikes from dumpsters (skips here), though with the "Plank Bank" idea taking off its getting harder to find wood....
Badger.
Every time I poke around the local dump I find something that looks very like my last project.
FoggyTown