Dumb Dado Question

Page 2 of 2
<Secret> wrote in message

I would say that you might be right, and just well might do that, IF you only know enough about table saws, table saw blades, their operation and use, to be a danger to yourself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Thanks for the lesson and the accompanying self righteous attitude. Perhaps now you can go back and read the original post. The OP questioned that, in so much as they are labeled in what appears to be contradiction to the correct orientation. If you follow the lableling (and they DO NOT come with instructions) you will wind up with the outer blades reversed. By taking the extra moment to look at them you will realize that the labeling is misleading. I thought I made that clear in my post. But what should be equally clear to someone who clearly knows everything is that reversing the position of the outer blades will not make the set any less safe to operate, just somewhat less accurate.
<Secret> wrote in message

As I said, it wasn't directed at you ... but the fact remains that whoever displayed the original ignorance should be strongly warned, and be thankful that the "self righteous attitude", as you call it, is not accompanied by flying carbide teeth and/or bits of steel.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message

Then you should be damn thankful if you are still in one piece.
- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 4/13/04
...in one piece with every appendage I was born with still here. I did one stupid mistake that resulted in blood back in 1983 (I think...might have been 1984). Beat that "Mom".
Sorry you had to take the time to nose into what I still think was a legit question to a group of people that are generally very helpful. Forget the fact that I've only witnessed you "sniping" without offering anything of value to anybody posting to this NG.
As I have been such a bad bad boy, if I were you, I would plonk me. FH

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message

If you have some wood, better go knock on it.

Mom would tell you the same thing: Pay more attention all around and you'll be safer, and better informed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

"Tom Lewis" > wrote in message ...
I actually tried this last year when I needed to make large box joints on my crapsman ts and couldn't afford to buy a dado. I found a set of 7 identical B&D 7-1/2" steel blades and stacked them with washers and poster board shims between them to get the right spacing.
I cut 240 3/8" box joints with it. When I first started, the notches came out fairly nice requiring minimal clean up. After about 180 cuts, I had to do moderate clean up of each notch bottom with a chisel.
After I finished I just threw away the blades since they only cost me $4.99 for the set.
Would I do it again? ONLY if I HAD to cut dados and HAD no money. They made such noise I was scared out of my gourd the entire time.
Tillman

I have done this before and have had no problems. I worked in a lab once where they bought cheap 8" blades in bulk (50 at a time maybe?) I used to stack these togther to make dado cuts. They were flat top ground blades and they made a pretty good cut. Not perfect, but better than some cheap stacked dadoes that I have seen.(the baldes were not exactly perfectly the same diameter, but really darn close.)
Some one else stated that this would be dangerous if the blades slipped and the carbide teeth broke off and went flying. I don't buy this argument. First off, as long as you tighten the arbor nut properly, they are not going to slip. Secondly, this is no different than most stacked dado sets. On my delta set, the teeth all overlap each other. if the blades ever slipped (which they don't) the carbide would become projectiles as well. It is not an issue.
I do agree that in general, it is probably cheaper just buy a stacked dado set. (Unless of coarse you have a pile of bulk blades setting there like i did.
Just my opinion.
--
Joe in Denver
my woodworking website: