Dumb and dumber

Me, that is. I am so PO'd at myself. As you may recall, I'm building a drum sander. Ordered and installed the hook and loop stuff for the drum, only to discover that I installed the fuzzy stuff instead of the nubby stuff. Needless to say, the sandpaper won't adhere. So I've re-ordered and now need to get the wrong stuff off the drum.

Any thought about what I can use to help remove the adhesive backed fuzzy stuff? The drum is a series of 3/4" plywood disks.

Larry (the moron)

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Not really sure. But if you can rig up some kind of support, you could run the drum and use a chisel to lightly take it off. Kinda like a big lathe.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Larry, no offense, but if the two of us started comparing stories of dumb things we did, you'd come in a distant third. ;)

I'd start with a heat gun and scraper/pliers/whatever to get the nylon loop stuff off, then do a final clean up with Goof Off or Goo Gone or Goo Be Do Be Do (with apologies to Frank Sinatra).

RicodJour

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:21:58 -0500, Gramp's shop

I use OrangeApeel. It really is a very good adhesive remover and doesn't smell like some of the commercial adhesive removers.

Dave

Larry.... I use a heat gun (low setting) to soften adhesives. I even have removed formica sheets off of cabnets when I have made a mistake installing.. Go esay on the heat (slowly) WW

Reply to
WW

WD-40 works great to take spray adhesives off

Reply to
ChairMan

Gramp's shop wrote in news:Z0KMr.1196$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.iad:

Can you get a knife or something under part of the fuzzy side? Sometimes simple physical removal is the best option.

Try a putty knife first, then go to something sharp.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

1 lathe + 1 sharp tool = 1 mess and 1 clean(er) drum.

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Heat or lighter fluid (but not at the same time) sounds ok. I would not use goo gone or any similar stuff because it MIGHT soak into the wood and prevent the nubby stuff from adhering. Same with WD-40. Note: I have not had any experience with any of this, just trying to think ahead.

Reply to
G. Ross

Hey Larry, Is there some type of interface that has nubby on both faces? You could apply that first and then attach your sandpaper to the new surface. The downside may be that the sanding surface would not be as rigid as if it were directly affixed to the drum. =20 Marc (the More moron)

Reply to
marc rosen