Duh! Why didn't I do this years ago?

I super-glued a short length of plastic tubing to the toggle switch on the shop vac. Now, I can hit it on and off with the shopvac nozzle or anything else in my hands.
The little red toggle switch was tucked down into a molded recess... surely meant to protect it from stuff. Well, I'd rather be able to get to it easily. Now I can. The tubing it strong enough to turn it on and off, but weak enough to bend and not break the switch if it gets hit too hard.
Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment. Anyone have any duh moments to share.
--

-MIKE-

Another one is gluing some clear plastic triangular pieces over idiot lights so you can see them from a wider angle. I don't know if it qualifies as a duh! moment so much as an ah!
[schnipfered]
Sorry, Mike.... I have NO idea why you didn't do that years ago.
On 11/2/10 7:20 AM, Robatoy wrote:

<cough!>smartass!<cough!>
--

-MIKE-

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)
On 11/02/10 9:33 AM, Leon wrote:

And they work the TV too, never have to get up from the couch again. :-)
--
Froz...

In fact, I bought a HarmonyOne combined remote. What a sweet piece that is. You connect via USB to your puter, go to their website and plug in the model numbers of your DVDBR, AVReceiver, Screen, VCR, Cable/Sat box and it sets the whole mess up for you...look ma, no hands. Now, I get to hold just one remote and am no longer burdened by the searching and carrying of multiple remotes.... a remote for remotes, so to speak. Works like a charm. (Backlit keys too)
On 11/02/10 11:54 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I've had one of those for several years, love it. I used to have about six remotes on the ottoman, now I have room for my feet.
--
Froz...

I bought one of those, except it was the big Harmony 1000 table top model. Aren't they great? Downloading all the codes for a particular piece of equipment is a breeze. Wish they'd been available thirty years ago. Would have cost a fortune back then though.
On 11/2/10 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

I'm sorry, what now? :-)
Actually, a remote is still another button to push. I have a foot switch, now. Next step will be one of those current sensors that turns on/off automatically.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote the following:

Better yet, a voice command remote. "Turn on TV", "Channel 32", "Volume down", Turn off".
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Proper TV automation should consist of one command only, "Turn OFF."
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
Larry Jaques wrote:

I've seen those - a small (fits in your pocket) remote control that only knows how to turn a TV off, but it knows the codes for *lots* of TVs. Handy in all kinds of places - makes life much more pleasant.
--
Al Dunstan, Software Engineer
OptiMetrics, Inc.

Indeed. I'd like one which works for 10 miles or so, just shut down a town as you drive through. Riots in the sports bars, wot?
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Speaking of remote control....
I made a remote control for my dust collector (which has magnetic starters) from an old garage door power head. I put a momentary micro switch next to the screw mechanism so when the screw winds up the trigger for the limit switches, the added switch closes a parallel circuit in the holding power for the contacts. I take the remote with me, or clip it to a pocket or tool belt, and turn off the suction and back on at my needs.
Poorly worded, but I hope you all get the idea. One of the best things I ever did for the shop.
--
Jim in NC