duct size for dust collection?

I'm working on installing my duct collection system. I have a 2 horsepower, 1500cfm system. My shop is relatively small. I plan to have about 7 ports. This is a hobbyists shop (i.e. 13in planer, contractor tablesaw, 14 in bandsaw, etc.).
Everything I'm reading suggests that it is important to go with 5" ducting all around. I already own a bit of 4" ducting, and well, quite frankkly, it'll just be easier and cheeper to stick with 4". I realize that my dust collector will easily handle 5" ducting without loosing air speed, but is it necessary? Are those with 4" systems satisfied that it's doing an adequate job?
On 3 Mar 2004 14:21:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com (Doug) wrote:

Yes, but I have pretty short runs. My piping is "W" shaped, only with one center tube, with a trash can cyclone and the DC in the center, under a central stairwell.
The longest run I have is maybe 16 feet, to a table saw. All of the big chip generators, like the jointer are less than 8' by way of pipe.
Barry

Well, I believe the recommendation for the larger size is just for the main line. You then go to 4" for the drops down to each tool and change to flexible duct for the last couple feet after the blast gates. So, you probably would only have to buy larger duct for one main run. I use 6" duct with 4" drops.
Frank

thats exactly what i was going to suggest. use the 4" for the drops.
randy