I'm in the doghouse so any help would be gratefully appreciated.
I have a newish Ducal pine dinner table which has an acid burn from
leaking alkaline radio batteries.
It's marked a strip of about 4 inches long by about half an inch wide
but as you can imagine as far as the missus is concerned it may as well
be 10 foot wide!!
It's taken the top layer of wood off although I'm sure this isn't a
What do I need to do to get this fixed.
Tried flowers and chocolates but that was no good :-)
Do I need a french polisher or is there some other specialist I should
look for? I suspect the whole table top may need sanding down.
Whereabouts on the table top is the burn? If it was conveniently in the
centre it might be possible to inlay a new piece of contrasting wood as
Failing that, try gold and diamonds :-)
If it was due to alkaline batteries, it is probably alkaline, not acid.
Are you sure the lye is now neutralized, or is it still eating further into
(I have no idea how to go about fixing it, although a nice inlay is likely
the best, as suggested by Owain. I'd make it plenty big for the above
Maybe, but is it worth it? How much is the payout, and what effect will
it have on the premium over how many years? Call me cynical but I
suspect you wont gain anything in the end. And theres the excess, and
they may want something for betterment...
The liquid is potassium hydroxide apparently, so peroxide should lighten
any discolouration. Then neutralise with vinegar or citric acid.
Probably won't undo the damage but might stop it getting any worse.
Thanks for all the replies guys.
It stopped affecting the wood shortly after I discovered it so it's not
getting any worse.
Appologies for calling it 'acid' but that seemed the easiest
description as some people don't realise how 'acidic like' (there I go
again) alkaline can be.
The patch is towards the bottom edge so I don't think I'll get away
with any inlays as features.
Ducal don't now manufacture in the UK and by all accounts they went to
asia somewhere followed by the quality apparently!!
As for insurance, I have considered that but I don't like to make small
claims (although this could turn out to be a whoppa) as eventually the
premiums go up. Still it's a option once I find out how much it will
Oh, the jewelers is also looking a good option. :-))
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.