Dubby Crosscut Sled

Someone wants to sell me a used, left-side DCS. Leon mentioned this as a good accessory for the Ridgid TS in a previous exchange. No picture or elaboration is had as yet but I do have a couple of questions.
1. Researching the sleds after Leon's recommendation, I read a comment that individual units only fit certain brands/models of table saws. Although no clarification was given, my assumption was this had to do with specifics of the miter slot to blade distance. If so--or if not--and assuming the offered sled was made for another make/model of saw, is it possible to make it fit the Ridgid (or other TS) by some reasonably uninvolved modification?
2. If we have a green light on point 1, what are the points for physical examination on this used DCS?
A price figure remains to be mentioned, but somehow that will come up too. All replies are appreciated.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Haven't used it myself but the ol' dubby himself does a hell of a demo with that thang. Made me want one.

I would not consider buying used unless I was getting the used jig for next to nothing. The jigs are made to fit specific saws and even then the jig is tweeked "by you and your saw" to fit your saw specifically, not all of the same kind of saw. Basically a new sled will be too wide to pass near the blade with out being cut by the blade. Cutting the sled with the blade is part of the initial set up. You use the new cut edge as a reference, it is the edge of the cut. Very handy for measuring from that edge to the stop on the fence for accurate length cuts. Having said that IIRC you can order or make new sleds and simply transfer the parts, fence, stop, angle gauge, etc.

Obvious damage.

I bought both my left and right Dubby jigs at the same time. There are times that having a jig for both sides is handy, think cutting asymmetrical moldings on both ends. I got a sizeable discount when I bought both at the same time. Actually my wife did, she ordered on the phone and mentioned "show pricing", and they gave her show pricing.
I got my Dubby jigs at Christmas 1999 IIRC. I have never had to recalibrate either one.

Leon:
Thanks. I got it. The printed information on the Dubby site did not make what you clearly said apparent. This sled has alreay been altered.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

In case you have not yet found this, http://www.in-lineindustries.com/New%20Dubby%20Manual.pdf , look at the bottom of page 3 for the cutting step during set up.

(say an inch or so), it is easy to redo. It is possible to glue a strip of hardwood to the cut edge and then recut the sled to fit your saw. I did that to one that had been damaged with no problem. Older models had a wooden fence while I believe the newer models have a metal fence.

JS:
Thank you kindly for the help. Your advice is intelligent. If the seller is willing to make an accomodation on price, we'll see.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Leon:
You are the man. You did my work for me. I apologize but thank you more.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On 2/11/2011 1:50 AM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

That a Leon trait for you .... working with him in the shop is like having an extra pair of hands at the end of your arms.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

KC:
That's a good shout out to Leon. But I want to see the look on the fingerprinting guy.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey