DT fit query

Folks -

Well, I posted about a walnut cradle that I was working on some time ago.... am getting closer...

The corners are compound dovetails, and I haven't cut that dovetails even before. How tight should the parts fit. I have been judiciously paring the tails and pins, but want to be careful so that I don't go too far or split a joint.

Any comments, cautions or suggestions from those who have gone before?

TIA

John Moorhead Lakeport CA

Reply to
john moorhead

Tight enough that they hold together with out glue but loose enough that you can slide them together by hand or very slight tapping with a mallet or hammer.

Reply to
Leon

Personally I'm with Tage Frid on this one. You shouldn't pare dovetails, just saw them (this applies to compounds, but obviously not to blind ones). As you get better at it, your fit improves. But chopping away and trying to "adjust" the things always seems to make them worse, not better.

Andy Dingley

What he said!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I don't dry fit them. In my opinion that ruins the joint. When they go together it should be a friction fit - meaning that they need to be tapped home. Now, that doesn't mean using a sledge hammer, but I believe they should be a bit tighter than what Leon says. Of course that works for me and what he does works for him. Remember that when you place glue in the joint it will lubricate the parts making them slide together much easier . That is why you don't want them too loose. Ultimately, you want the glue there to help the joint stay together but the joinery is supposed to do most of the work. If you have to pare them then I guess you have to do what you have to do. I just cut mine with the saw then assemble when it comes time to assemble - I don't pare my dovetails. I find if you do your layout carefully and trust your layout when you saw, they just go together. YMMV

Reply to
Howard Ruttan