Drywall-type screws with true 82 deg head?

Awl --
I'm a big fan of coarse thread drywall screws, for mounting metal to wood (indoors), or even deck screws, but the head is not an 82 deg c-sink, in fact, the underside is curved.
Can I get a drywall-type thread (coarse) with an 82 deg head (or 90 deg, any standard c-sink angle)? Traditional sheet metal screws have a large-ish root diameter, not enough "bite" in the threads.
--
EA

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:52:51 AM UTC-8, Existential Angst wrote:

Don't know where to get drywall screws with true flat head config but McFeely's has lots o coarse thread flat head wood screws that should work for you... like this http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0812-FCT
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:38:37 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

has lots o coarse thread flat head wood screws that should work for you... like this http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0812-FCT If a drywall screw had a straight 82 (or 90) degree head it would NOT be a drywall screw. The convex tapr on a drywall screw is to displace the drywall topper paper without breaking it as the screw pulls in. Break the paper and the screw isn't holding ANYTHING any more.
On Feb 21, 5:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

you... like thishttp://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0812-FCT

They're also not as strong as wood screws because they don't have to be.
Existential Angst wrote:

What is the problem with traditional wood screws?
looking at Mcmaster, drywall screw #99136A100     http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/99136a100/=lkwr59 it is clearly the bugle head you do not want.
but part #90031A153, a No. 6—#2 Phillips Drive Zinc-Plated Wood Screws appears to be what you are looking for.     http://www.mcmaster.com/#tapping-screws/=lkwsvp
Stephen B
--
not that other Steve B That posts frequently

The only question I have about these, are they soft metal like you often see in the home centers, or are they heat treated like you find with McFeeley's. The right heat treatment makes the screws tough but not brittle.
Having used heat treated screws before, I hate using the run of the mill stuff anymore.

Mcmaster Carr probably has something that was engineered to do whatever it is you are wanting to do.

They use them all the time in production woodworking, Go to McFeely's and look around.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0612-FRL/6-x-1-14-Wood-Screws-Unplated-Steel-Flat-Head-Combo-Drive
Paul K. Dickman