Drywall on the Table Saw

Page 1 of 2
Would anyone consider cutting drywall/sheetrock on their table saw? Of course this presupposes using the worst blade in the arsenal, and a large enough infeed/outfeed/rip capacity to do so.
Or is this just the stupidest idea you have ever heard (lately)?
/rick.
On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:31:13 -0400, "RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote:

edge once. Needed a good clean angle cut. Worked great. One downside was the dust is still probally in the air. This was about 5 years ago.
-- John, in Minnesota
Drywall dust is highly abrasive and will destroy your saw's motor, bears, arbor, etc. It will also produce lots of dust which, over time, will destroy the rest of your tools.
Cutting drywall by hand is easy. Just score both paper sides with a utility knife, and then snap off the section. Changed blades often.
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

The blade would be the least of your worries.
Cut the sheetrock with a utility knife, bend and break the sheetrock along that cut line and then cut the paper from the back side along the fold.
I tried cutting sheetrock with a saw once, never again. Damn dust was EVERYWHERE. Utility knives work much better and just as accurate.                                         Mark L.
RickS wrote:

Yes.
Hey! You asked.
UA100

But couldn't you mix the gypsum dust with drool and snot to make a good adhesive for Corian?
OBWW (Well, kind of): I have at least 1/2 a gallon of n.c. lacquer which was openned awhile ago, where "awhile" means somewhere between one and two years. Should I even entertain the idea it may still be good, or just dispose of it? (If so, how?)
--
Jeff Thunder, one-upping RickS
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
On 1 Jun 2004 00:10:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) wrote:

Only if'n yer taking crystal meth that ain't made by Dupont...or, something like that...
Regards, Tom.
Jeffrey Thunder wrote:

I don't think DuPont would approve.

I would use it as a fire starter (in the fall) for all those pesky leaves we suburbanites have to be raking up.
Just be sure to cover your eye brows.
UA100

Just sell it to some of the huffers in the neighborhood.
It's hard to imagine how nitrocellulose or the solvent its in would degrade. I have a couple of gallons that are at least 10 years old and they are still fine.
RB
Jeffrey Thunder wrote:

"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

Pretty damn close. There is absolutely no need for that type of precision when cutting/installing sheetrock ... use a utility knife and "let the mudman fix it".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04
KY "RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:31:13 -0400, "RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote:

Yes; not lately ...ever.
Bill.
On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:31:13 -0400, "RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote:

byyye byyye bearings... Super-fine, very abrasive dust that gets -everywhere-. I destroyed a nice Shop Vac this way.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:24:26 -0400, Mike Patterson

Aren't bearings sealed?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
--at-- comcast.net> says...

Don't listen to dem other guys. Go ahead and use yer bestest tablesaur and a nice blade to precision cut the drywall. It'll be okey-doke just as soon as the dust settles (3 or 4 months), and you'll get a brand- spankin new replacement saw from the deal too.
And don't forget to say "hi" to the pulmonologist and respiratory therapist.
/vic
<snip unanimous replies, confirming the stupidest idea ever>
I know I asked.... but.... alright, already!
I've done enough drywalling recently to do the score, bend, cut routine in my sleep (almost literally). But when one has a table saw, just beconing to Vrroooom right through it all without so much as getting on your hands and knees, well....
But alas, I suppose in life there are too many things that becon, only to learn that they really are Just Not A Good Idea.
So thanks everyone, for allowing me to avoid the School of Hard Knocks.
/rick.

Another reason, the drywall dust will stick to the "pork chop" sawdust on the trunnion/motor that got there when you sliced up that whole pork loin last week. Should have used the mitersaw for that. R
LMAO... you got me there, good thing I didn't have a mouthful of anything... "pork chop sawdust"... heheh.
Dave