Drywall on the Table Saw (2023 Update)

Would anyone consider cutting drywall/sheetrock on their table saw? Of course this presupposes using the worst blade in the arsenal, and a large enough infeed/outfeed/rip capacity to do so.

Or is this just the stupidest idea you have ever heard (lately)?

/rick.

Reply to
RickS

Never used a table saw, but tried it with a skilsaw and a straight edge once. Needed a good clean angle cut. Worked great. One downside was the dust is still probally in the air. This was about 5 years ago.

-- John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John, in MN

Drywall dust is highly abrasive and will destroy your saw's motor, bears, arbor, etc. It will also produce lots of dust which, over time, will destroy the rest of your tools.

Cutting drywall by hand is easy. Just score both paper sides with a utility knife, and then snap off the section. Changed blades often.

Reply to
AL

The blade would be the least of your worries.

Cut the sheetrock with a utility knife, bend and break the sheetrock along that cut line and then cut the paper from the back side along the fold.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Mark L.

Yes.

Hey! You asked.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Pretty damn close. There is absolutely no need for that type of precision when cutting/installing sheetrock ... use a utility knife and "let the mudman fix it".

Reply to
Swingman

If your going to cut much of it get one of those large T-Squares made by Johnson they make it much easier. As for the saw don't, I get enough dust up my nose with the utility knife method.

Reply to
Kentucky Highlander

Yes; not lately ...ever.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

But couldn't you mix the gypsum dust with drool and snot to make a good adhesive for Corian?

OBWW (Well, kind of): I have at least 1/2 a gallon of n.c. lacquer which was openned awhile ago, where "awhile" means somewhere between one and two years. Should I even entertain the idea it may still be good, or just dispose of it? (If so, how?)

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

byyye byyye bearings... Super-fine, very abrasive dust that gets -everywhere-. I destroyed a nice Shop Vac this way.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Don't listen to dem other guys. Go ahead and use yer bestest tablesaur and a nice blade to precision cut the drywall. It'll be okey-doke just as soon as the dust settles (3 or 4 months), and you'll get a brand- spankin new replacement saw from the deal too.

And don't forget to say "hi" to the pulmonologist and respiratory therapist.

/vic

Reply to
VRadin

Only if'n yer taking crystal meth that ain't made by Dupont...or, something like that...

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I don't think DuPont would approve.

I would use it as a fire starter (in the fall) for all those pesky leaves we suburbanites have to be raking up.

Just be sure to cover your eye brows.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I know I asked.... but.... alright, already!

I've done enough drywalling recently to do the score, bend, cut routine in my sleep (almost literally). But when one has a table saw, just beconing to Vrroooom right through it all without so much as getting on your hands and knees, well....

But alas, I suppose in life there are too many things that becon, only to learn that they really are Just Not A Good Idea.

So thanks everyone, for allowing me to avoid the School of Hard Knocks.

/rick.

Reply to
RickS

Just sell it to some of the huffers in the neighborhood.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't think using a table saw would be wise, but did discover recently that a cheap jig saw is handy for cutting out holes for electrical outlets and for irregular edges.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I don't understand why you would want to. A utility knife with a straightedge for a guide does a fast, neat job with almost no effort. Score and snap. No dust.

Running it through a table saw means horsing the sheet onto the saw and guiding it, while with the utility knife, you get it on your sawhorse/2x4 stand and move the knife. Much easier. No dust to get into the tablesaw and ruin it.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Another reason, the drywall dust will stick to the "pork chop" sawdust on the trunnion/motor that got there when you sliced up that whole pork loin last week. Should have used the mitersaw for that. R

Reply to
Rudy

LMAO... you got me there, good thing I didn't have a mouthful of anything... "pork chop sawdust"... heheh.

Dave

"Rudy" wrote in news:l2Uuc.637793$Ig.395226 @pd7tw2no:

Reply to
Dave Van Vugt