drying wood

I have a few hundred feet of 1.5" thick white oak planks, stickered and stacked up off the ground where no rain can reach it. The outdoor temperature is ranging from 30 to 60 degrees. Currently, the moisture readings range from 14 to 18 percent, down from 16 to 22 percent about two months ago. At what point can I bring the wood indoors into my furnace-heated shop where it is very dry and (more) safe from theft? I want to avoid stressing the wood to a point of splitting, cracking.

Reply to
Phisherman

Find the RH of your shop. Ought to have a hygrometer in there always. Look at the difference in EMC on the tables. I would try to keep the difference under 10% for best success. Oak's a PITA to dry without honeycomb anyway.

Reply to
George

I am sure you have done this already but if not..........seal the ends with green wood sealer. This will do a lot the reduce, not stop end checking. good luck Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson