Drum sanders - is velcro paper bad?

hi folks, as a follow up to my earlier question about woodmaster snaders - A couple of folks have said that they thought the velcro backing on the paper would be bad - it would leave knots (or other hard bits) proud of hte rest of the surface. Has anyone experienced this? Or used a woodmaster and not had this problem?

thansk

-_JD

Reply to
jd

Soft backed papers on a drum sander will round over edges. If that doesn't bother you... :)

Dave

Reply to
David

I've had a 24" Woodmaster drum sander for around 5 years in my home shop. I have never had a problem with it rounding over edges or leaving knots proud of the surface. The hook and loop backing on the paper and drum isn't that thick. The loops on the back of the paper especially are more like "fuzz". When rolling new paper onto the drum ther is basicly no give if you are carefull to get the paper tight when installing (turn the drum with one hand, pull the paper tight with the other). Of course, I mostly use it for finish sanding and make light passes.

Reply to
rick

I have the 38" one in my shop. Got it on the very cheap from a divorce forced sale. I have not had a problem with rounding over of the edges. It works very nice for sanding, the best for finish sanding as stated before.

Reply to
Jon