Drum Sander - Small Gloat

This is just a small gloat

I was mentioning to a friend on my dart team that I was getting ready to build a drum sander for myself that I saw on line. The next time we met for league, he walked me out to his truck and showed me a Ryobi WDS1600

16" drum sander. He said he was in the process of throwing it away and I could have it if I wanted. I took it. It didn't work of course, that is why he was dumping it. I took it home and the first thing I did was plug in the drum motor, it worked fine. After cleaning it up and really getting a goo look at it, I found a few problems. Surface rust on the table under the belt and a bad controller as well as a bad feed motor. I searched the internet and found the replacement parts for it. After spending approx. $185 dollars, and some elbow grease, I now have a like new drum sander. I feel this is not bad since I am somewhat new to woodworking and don't really have the money to buy new tools like this.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Rick wrote in news:qxHRd.9982$hU7.2058 @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

You would have spent easily that much time, and maybe as much money, on the homebuilt.

Upgrade your gloat, and remember that friends are gloatworthy, too.

Someone else can tell you that you suck.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I'll take that honor...you suck. Good catch. RonMan

Reply to
The Alaskan

Just made my 22" for approx $150

GREAT.

Reply to
Larry Bud

The link doesn't. Sure you posted the right link?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:a955f$4217cfe1 $a22700e1$ snipped-for-privacy@ispnews.usenetserver.com:

Worked for me. Click on tools. I wouldn't mind seeing more plans with list of parts. (I'm not quite ready yet, so I didn't DAGS).

Reply to
Han

You might want to put a guard over that protruding axle, or cut it a bit shorter. I can imagine it wouldn't be much fun if your shirt snagged it.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence