Drum sander

Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

Reply to
Gramp's shop

------------------------------ Based on the rates charged by commercial shops, why bother?

Last time I used one it was $25 for first 15 minutes and $1/minute after.

You can get a slot of sanding done for $30.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Agreed on the cost aspect, Lew, but the convenience of having a small drum sander in my shop is worth a few bucks, assuming I can cobble it together for under $100. I've used a local yard and their prices are quite reasonable, but they are 30 minutes away.

Reply to
Z3Driver

A quick Google will turn up lots of plans. The cost appears to be $200 and up. I got curious enough to look at the plans for one at the low end and it was manual feed with the sandpaper attached with velcro.

Considering all that, by the time the cost got to $300 or more I'd start looking for a used one. I've got the Jet 10-20 and am happy with it. See if you can find one used.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
tiredofspam

down for a link for plans.

Reply to
Leon

I have not built this one but I do remember seeing the plans in ShopNotes

Dan Coby

(assuming it works). If anybody HAS built this thing I'd be interested in hearing how it went and how well it works for you.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Wood Magazine also published plans for a drum sander. I've got the special publication "Woodworking Tools You Can Make" that has a reprint of the article and plans. I'll scan them if you need the article.

There's also a set of plans on this site:

Willie Doesit

I have a second copy of Fine Woodworking's _On Making and Modifying Machines_ if anyone's interested. $10.98, including USA postage.

They have a really cool double 16" disk sander and several models of thickness sanders/abrasive planers. Want to build a CNC radial arm saw? (Radio Alarm Saw to you, Bill.)

Walking beam saw which can cut 12" beams and a 34-1/2" throat!

Lotsa cool stuff.

-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke

Reply to
Larry Jaques