driving me nuts: shellac article/photos?

I know I saw a site somewhere that had all kinds of pictures of where shellac comes from. Lac beetles, harvesting, what raw shellac looks like with all the bug parts in it, etc. I've spent an hour googling, and I've turned up bupkis. I usually don't bookmark things, because I have gradually just grown dependent on remembering enough keywords to re-google something at will. Not this time.
Any ideas? Did I maybe read it in a book somewhere? I don't think any of my WW books have color photographs though, and this was color. I don't read WW magazines.
I'm trying to find this to satisfy my children's curiosity about the bag of weird looking orange bug doodoo I have on my desk, and to assure them that it's not made at the expense of using up some unrenewable endangered resource.
I have also just assured them that it's not really bug crap, but actually something more like solidified aphid honeydew. Is that actually accurate, or is it really more of a fecal material?
Silvan wrote: snip

http://green-alan.tripod.com/ReferenceNtoZ.htm http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/ambrosehealfurniture / http://www.shellac.net/information.html http://www.woodworkingshows.com/shellac.htm <How it's harvested http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/archive/66/qanda.cfm <Pix http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/entomology/topics/goods.htm <Uses
Hope that helps some. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

That was the one, specifically, I was trying to dig up. Thanks! What a relief. :)
Silvan wrote:

they eat that is coated in shellac. Some things that come to mind are fruits and vegetables, some medication is coated.

candy, like m&ms.

And what does the alcohol do to them? Where I live they're waxed or oiled to _hold_ moisture, not dehydrated with alcohol.
Enteric coatings and candies, certainly.
George wrote:

Yep. Do a Google search on "shellac coating fruits vegetables" and you'll find plenty of mention of shellac as a coating for fruits and veggies: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=shellac+coating+fruits+vegetables&btnG=Google+Search
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL): Shellac: it's a floor wax ... and a dessert topping!
Conan The Librarian wrote:

Interesting how the first article is about how there's a new process to replace shellac in this use with... PVA?! Oh yummy! It's not bad enough to eat bug doodoo, now they want you to eat glue.
Maybe this is a move to make fruit more popular with the younger crowd.
Ah, the WAX! Big difference.

Heard the one about the pirate who walked into a bar with a ship's wheel in his pants?