Driveway Made Of Wood?

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?
For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What "ideal" type of wood would you use?
Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces, such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be calculated before the wood would be laid?
I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.
Jack
Jack wrote: > Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?
Remember your history classes where they discussed corduroy road construction using wooden logs?
Lew

Believe it or not in the arly 20th century there were ROADS made of wood. However they used treated timbers like railroad ties, probably creosote.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
I lived on a street called Hessler Court in Cleveland. Oak timbers, end grain up, each about the size of a brick. I don't know the depth of the "bricks". The street is about 150 years old (IIRC). A call to Cleveland's "Western Reserve Historical Society" (www.wrhs.org) could probably get you construction details or directions to someone who knows.
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

David wrote:
> I lived on a street called Hessler Court in Cleveland. Oak timbers, end > grain up, each about the size of a brick. I don't know the depth of the > "bricks". The street is about 150 years old (IIRC).
What part of Cleveland?
What you are describing has often been used as a machine shop floor.
Horseburg & Scott, a gear box manufacturer on Hamilton Av in Cleveland used it for their shops.
Lew
It is on the Case campus, between Euclid and Bellflower, and just East off of Ford. http://www.hessler.org/map.html . It was a cool place to live while I was in school. I doubt it has changed much in the last 20 years (it certainly hadn't in the 30 years before I got there!)
David
Lew Hodgett wrote:

David wrote: > It is on the Case campus, between Euclid and Bellflower, and just East > off of Ford. http://www.hessler.org/map.html . It was a cool place to > live while I was in school. I doubt it has changed much in the last 20 > years (it certainly hadn't in the 30 years before I got there!)
Those are some very complete directions.
Had totally forgot about that part of town.
Back in my day, which was probably 30 years before you, there were a couple of neat pizza joints there as well as the places up in "Little Italy" on the hill.
Lew
Within 20 miles from my house, a road was built between Petrolia and Sarnia, Ontario. Entirely made from white oak soaked in creosote, it lasted a long time. On it, carts with barrels of oil were transported from (what they claim) the first strike in North America to (one of) the first refineries owned by Standard Oil aka SO (phoenetically ESSO) That road, today called (wait for it.........).....Plank road. Sometimes, when a repair is done, or a sewer is laid, they will often find remnants of the planks.
When a summer breeze rolls in from SSE, the scent of crude faintly fills the air. That only happens a couple of times per year.
When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator.
October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American friends!
http://www.worldcantwait.org /
...and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is true...but enough is enough.
(I seldom voice my political views, here, or anywhere else...but for fuck sakes WAKE UP!!!)

I love the loaded words. Your use of the word "dictator" to describe the situation in the US should be pretty offensive to people who actually live in dictatorships across the world.

Hmmm..let's look at some of the other supporters of this cause: Ed Asner, Harry Belafonte, Ward Churchill, John Conyers, Jane Fonda, Cynthia McKinney (!), Susan Sarandon, The Rev. Al Sharpton, Cindy Sheehan, Martin Sheen, Gloria Steinem, Maxine Waters, etc. My apologies to the rest of the lefties I haven't ever heard of that are also included in the list. Be careful hanging around this group. You might get catch a bad case of liberalism just from proximity. You are, of course, free to spend you time as you see fit. My suggestion, however, would be to do something that might actually produce a result. Let me say this plainly...George Bush is not going to be driven out of office either by impeachment or resignation. I'm not arguing the merits of whether he should or not...it just isn't going to happen. Face it...this is a kook left fringe topic. It's the same people who believe that 9/11 was a Bush administration conspiracy. I mean, have you actually read the claims on this web site? "Your Government is moving each day closer to a theocracy"? Laughable. Can you say "hyperbole", boys and girls? Sure. I knew you could.
Oh, and watch the references to God. We're moving toward a theocracy, you know.
todd
Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com) said:
<snipperfaction>
| When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of | sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator. | | October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American | friends! | | http://www.worldcantwait.org / | | ...and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is | true...but enough is enough. | | (I seldom voice my political views, here, or anywhere else...
Hmm. I assume that you (and the worldcantwait folks) have thought this through carefully and considered the consequences of success - and have somehow reached the conclusion that Cheney would be a significant improvement...
Please be very careful what you wish/advocate for.
-- Morris Dovey who hasn't forgotten: http://www.iedu.com/mrd/07041776.html
Morris Dovey wrote:

Dammit, Morris, just the thought ruined my breakfast :-).
'Bout like the newspaper headline yesterday that called a US population of 300,000,000 a "milestone". I consider it a millstone :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Funny thing... here, when the wind blows from the north, it smells like an asshole.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

You are right! I am doing all I can to make sure Steven Harper won't be prime minister for much longer. He's just another Bush lapdog.

Well put.
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Hmmmm - that sounds suspiciously like "everyone is out of step but me" and somewhat reinforces the "theocracy" caution.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

"Robatoy"

Rob, You crack me up. You must have had a very slow week and knowing that winter is closing in on the frozen tundra, you hijacked this thread just for giggles.
Here, Rob - you should get a kick out of this site. :) http://www.anncoulter.com /
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

How dare you suggest that! I stand behind my views like I would stand behind Ann Coulter. (Mind you, she'd be going: Ouchie-OUCH!!" for a few days.)

What an unappetizing bitch that is... but I appreciate your sentiment. She's the Madonna of politics. No talent..but knows that 'shock' sells. Her crap is as obvious as an alcoholic's morning fart on an elevator.
So you are suggesting that I would stir the pot for a few yuks? Okay...maybe.... but make sure you get to the village square Oct 5. This can't go on, Dave. This shit is heading straight for an uprising. That always sheds blood. And...how-the-hell are we going to feed the 150 million Americans streaming across our borders into Canada?
All the intelligent people the USA has to offer will be here in Canada.
What will be left, will be Bush voters with guns. NOT good! You KNOW they can't shoot straight, and will cause some damage.. till they find a 16-year-old page to cuddle up to.
Stir shit...me???
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I had something to say. 'They' didn't like it.
Don't you feel safe now?
Teamcasa wrote:

[...]

Stir trouble...me???
Naa