Dripping Garage Door

Like many of you I have my workshop located in the garage. My problem is that when I open the door after its been raining lots of water ends up dripping off of the door and onto my tools, any tips or tricks to stop this from happening? The door is one of those that's split into sections and rolls up. Big tarp just under the guide rails ?

Reply to
damian penney

Hit or rattle the door with your hand a couple of times to knock off the excess water before opening. I have the similar type door however it is built to have a high insulation rating. Water does not get past the joints.

Reply to
Leon

I'm guessing you live in California. We just had a storm with 60 to 75 mph hour winds and torrential downpours - actually they were more like horizontal pours at times.

I had exactly the same thing happen but didn't discover there'd been water on my Robland X31 combi saw and jointer top 'til 24 hours later - when I had to clear the saw table and jointer table of piles of stuff so I could use the saw. RUST FORMS QUICKLY!

Now I'm trying to find my big squeegie and have to figure out where to hang it - near the garage door. I really don't want to go through the hassle of a big tool cover. I have enough trouble with the car cover for the Miata.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Damien,

Does this sound familiar. I live in a place in Hawaii where we get 100 to 125 inches of rain per year. And when the trade winds are blowing the rain it even works into the joints of my insulated garage door so that when I open the door it drips from the joints and the weatherstrip on the bottom. What a mess it made of my TS. My solution was to install a 12' long by 20' wide tarp over the door and under the garage eave. The tarp is supported by a 1" EMT (metal electrical conduit) frame and legs opposite the garage. It mostly works unless the trades are blowing above 30 mph, when the rain is horizontal.

When it works it sure is nice to be able to open the door without moving the equipment around.

Reply to
AlohaCliff

Why put your tools under the door? My tip - move your tools.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeah, I think a tarp attached to the guide rails might be the way to go. Somebody else suggested adding small gutters to the rails too, and yes I live in California.

Someone else suggested moving the tools but with my limited space that's not really possible (unless the wife lets me move them into the house...)

Reply to
damian penney

I have my tools on one side of the garage and I put the car in the other side. That being said, I seldom open the far side unless the weather is fair. As for the near side where I put the car, it doesn't matter if some water drips in when I open that door.

When I work in the garage, I pull the car out so I have room.

Years ago, I used to watch Norm Abrahm and lust after his tools. Now I have most of them, so when I watch NYW, I lust after all the room he has in his shop. Never satisfied...

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That would be Kauai right - the northeast side?

My first day there I counted over 20 waterfalls - that were visible from the road. "I should get a photo of that." but I figured I could get a shot before I left. Never saw the top half of the mountains again, and sometimes couldn't see the mountains at all. Kauaiis a kickback place where the Hawaiian version of manana is a really easy habit to get into.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Called Kauai time. :-) Or island time. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Charlie b,

Actually I live on the north end of the Big Island (Hawaii Island). I think they get a lot more rain on Kauai then we get here. And oh yea... you either get into island time or you go nuts.

The only down side is EVERYTHING has to get here on a boat. I'm looking at lathes and no one is real enthusiastic about shipping one here.

Cliff

Reply to
AlohaCliff

That's the reason why I replaced my up-and-over door with two side-hinged doors (home-made, one of my first woodworking projects).

Also has the advantage that the doors can be open just a few inches when it's cold and windy, as well as being much less effort to open and close.

Reply to
Bob Martin

kind of a hassle, but if banging the door a few times doesn't get the water off of it, how about getting in the habit of hitting it with compressed air before opening, or something like that?

Mac

mac davis