Drilling Large Holes in Wood Question...

Page 2 of 2

Cycle time in a production drilling environment is critical... Faster is ... er... faster if it can be done at all.
The wood held up just fine. Imagine this is rough sawn lumber pallets... The finish is not critical at all as long as I don't burst through the product and cause problems that way.

These are clearance holes for fasteners so finish is not important.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

True... Thus the original question I suppose. If you spend the money, a bit can probably be purchased with very high RPM capabilities. As someone else said, wood router tables run into the 10,000+ RPM range with the same diameter... Carbide bits would change the whole scenario... But with this guy's volume, I'm not sure that is an option for him.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

A major difference between the router and the drill is the chip removal and surface area in contact as well as the speed. That's where the chip ejection is such an issue in aiding the speed and heat rejection as well...

I would guess that hole depth and whether it's a blind or through hole would make a big difference in heat and chip ejection..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Yes, the OP (or a followup, maybe?) said 5-6" deep iirc w/ minimal blowout a secondary concern. Remember the thru hole is blind until it actually breaks through too, of course... :)