Drilling Large Holes in Wood Question...

Unless it causes delays for changing out bits too often..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Robatoy

True... Thus the original question I suppose. If you spend the money, a bit can probably be purchased with very high RPM capabilities. As someone else said, wood router tables run into the 10,000+ RPM range with the same diameter... Carbide bits would change the whole scenario... But with this guy's volume, I'm not sure that is an option for him.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

A major difference between the router and the drill is the chip removal and surface area in contact as well as the speed. That's where the chip ejection is such an issue in aiding the speed and heat rejection as well...

--

Reply to
dpb

I would guess that hole depth and whether it's a blind or through hole would make a big difference in heat and chip ejection..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Yes, the OP (or a followup, maybe?) said 5-6" deep iirc w/ minimal blowout a secondary concern. Remember the thru hole is blind until it actually breaks through too, of course... :)

--

Reply to
dpb