Drilling holes in wooden plank

Hi,
I have trying to build a cloths hanger since we are limited with closet space. At Home Depot, I have seen a wooden shelf (with four shelves) that will work if I modify it a little bit. The only thing is about drilling holes into the existing shelves for the hanger rods and some additional holes for nail drilling for support. The only problem is I do not have the electric tools and do not want to buy it for one time use. Is there any inexpensive tools that will allow me to drill holes for the hanger rod and for the supporting nail holes?
Thank you in advance for any help and information.
NJ

Borrow a hand drill from a neighbor. Doing it by hand is possible, and could be fun with burning, boring, etc. But you'll save yourself lots of time and effort by just borrowing the right tool from someone who has one.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Borrow a hand drill from a neighbor. Doing it by hand is possible, and could be fun with burning, boring, etc. But you'll save yourself lots of time and effort by just borrowing the right tool from someone who has one.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Harbor freight $15 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3670
Or try craigs list

An inexpensive drill and a few bits will not break your bank and it will eventually be used again, not just once. My girlfriend can, also, attest that a moderately sized/powerful drill can be used with a small auger bit for planting flower bulbs.
Sonny
Boy I'm glad you got the part about planting flower bulbs, I was a little worried about where you were going with that "My girlfriend and a moderately sized/powerful drill..."

Neil Jones wrote:

Sooner or later you're going to need a modest collection of tools to accommodate the desires of your better half. Craigslist is a good place to start. Many HDs also have tool rentals available.

If you are uncertain about tools, and don't want to own them, you want to do things differently. Hardware for holding a clothes rod, or wire shelves with clothes rod built in, or a unit that doesn't need the 'modify' step, are all options.
Hand tools (screwdriver, saw, knife is an irreducible minimum) will be good, inexpensive, easily found (pick any two...).
There are also spring-loaded adjustable clothes rods... and lots of other bad ideas out there.