Drilling holes for dowels

Hello
I asked this question on sept. 22, and got a lot of answers. It also caused quite a debate here. My solution was to buy a fostner bit, for what it app 2,25 USD, and it works very well. One of the best investment I have done lately.
Yesterday when assembling a drawer, one side less that 0,5 mm wrong, and I expect to fix that mistake tonight. Yes, it is possible to use fostner bits and dowels, and simply follow drawings. There will always be some minor offsets, but now they are so minimal, that work is easy and fast. And one wrong in many dowels is ok :) I do not use any kind of jig.
And, I got a bit with measurement on. I can go just a deep as I want too :)
I want to thank everyone for the help. And I am surprised how many took this issue up.
WBR Sonnich

Forstners need to be used at VERY slow RPMs ... if you didn't already know that.