Drilling holes for dowels?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I agree. But you can wiggle a biscuit 'till everything lines up, then clamp the sucker in place until the glue hardens.

But if you can wiggle it, and you can, it's *not* doing anything for registration. In fact, I'm not sure what (good) it does. Maybe face frames? Haven't done that yet.
krw wrote:

Yeah, if it does little to nothing for strength, and nothing for registration, then what is the purpose?
> Maybe face frames? Haven't done that yet.
I've always used mortise and tenon for face frames, but have bought a Kreg pocket hole thing-ee recently. I've used the Kreg thing for all sorts of stuff already, and it works really well, and easy. I haven't built a face frame with it yet, and probably will do the old M&T thing anyway... Old habits die hard sometimes... then again, the Kreg pocket hole thing is really easy, and fast, and surprisingly strong...
If you are talking about attaching the face frame to the cabinet, I could see a biscuit joiner used for registration, but I've either used nothing, or plowed a tongue and groove for that.
--
Jack

If they don't do anything for registration and they don't do anything for joint strength. What is the point in using them?
This is a serious question not a troll. I had thought that the main use was registration.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
"Jerome Meekings" wrote:

Best define registration.
I use them for top registration and consider 1/64" close enough for tops and atom bombs.
Having said that, I use oversize stock and then run thru a drum sander to get a finished top.
YMMV
Lew

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:31:42 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

That's what I thought, before I actually used one.

If you can accept that registration error, why bother with the biscuits?
"krw" wrote:

1/64" beats 1/32" or more every time out of the box.
Lew
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:40:16 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I recently tried it both ways, both using cauls. I didn't notice any difference.
krw wrote:

1/64th is more than good enough for me. Cauls work fine if your wood is perfect, less so if you don't have a planer. I can see using a biscuit joiner for a top, making sure the top surface is flat, and any discrepancies are on the bottom surface... you guys with thickness planers wouldn't understand:-) I'm still not likely to spend the money on one, I'd rather by a planer:-)
--
Jack

Right, but us guys with thickness planers don't like the bottoms bumpy either. The top mirrors (as opposed to "mirror finish") the bottom. I'll play with the biscuit jointer some more but so far it was a coupla $hundred wasted.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If the boards are perfectly thicknessed to start with you wouldn't need anything to get the top and bottom flat.. I'm guessing of course, cause I don't have a planer and have never had perfectly thicknessed planks to work with. I always try to get the top as close as humanly possible, and the heck with the bottom, as long as it's not ridiculous.
The top mirrors (as opposed to "mirror finish") the bottom.

I never wanted one for strength, just for alignment issues. When folks started trashing them for alignment, I started to wonder why you would want one... Well, I want one, I want a nail gun too, but have no use for one...
--
Jack

You need alignment to get the tops and bottoms flat. A biscuit cutter doesn't accomplish the task is the point.

I have a few nail guns too. At least they're useful. Finding "ammo" for my round-head is a bit problematic, though. Everyone seems to have 3-1/4" stuff but nothing shorter than 3". Probably should have bought a clipped head nailer instead.

They add plenty of strength to "end grain to face grain" joints.
Edge to edge... I concur, there is no point.
-Steve
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:53:39 -0700, jodleren wrote:

I suspect that what you're using is not a wood bit, but a common twist bit. Those were designed for metal. Brad points are what you want for drilling in wood. Forstner bits are used when a flat bottom hole is desired, or when a large diameter hole is needed.
That said, it's almost impossible to drill matching holes for dowels without some sort of jig, even if only a homemade one.
But what some others will tell you, dowels are still a perfectly adequate method of joinery for most purposes - don't give up.

Did you make a dimple? Tighten drillpress table? Sharp bit?