Drill/Screwdriver bit holders ... your favorite?

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:46:13 -0500, the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" scrawled the following:

Absolutely the most-used tool in my box(es). I adore it!

I'm quickly drifting in that direction, too. I just wish the long phillips bits didn't break so easily. Any tilt at all on those and the tips break off, and with a 6" bit, tilt is far too easy to happen. and I'd much rather have 6" of solid bit rather than an extension and bit which lose something in the translation. I can feel the screw going into the wood through a bit but not as well with an extension.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Leon may be on to something here:

Take a look at these

how they work

Swingman

This is _exactly_ what I was looking for. Thanks, Leon!

Swingman

An american company that makes a quality product that doesn't cost a lot.

And if fullfills a real need.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

WoodCraft carries some of the product, Amazon (through the old WW show standby, Peachtree) carries the whole line as near as I can tell.

In any event, ordered two quick change chucks, two standard magnetic bit holders, a 6" quick change extension, 2 sets of driver bits, and a drill bit adapter set. That should hold me for a week or two. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Is your primary use for this product cabinets?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Anything I use a drill for, which is primarily cabinets and furniture, and the jigs that go along with that territory.

Reply to
Swingman

the Houston WW show today. Peachtree had a huge display as usual, and must have had these at show prices which seemed to be roughly 10% discount. Some deals were better of course, but I didn't see anything sufficiently discounted that I 'd splurge for an unneeded tool. I say that with confidence since neither Lee Valley nor Lie Nielsen was present, and there were no planes on spokeshaves present that tempted me. That and I already have all the power tools I will ever need except maybe for a stationary planer (I love hand planes, but.....).

Had a great time at the show spending a bit over 10 hours there over two days..

Didn't buy a single tool, but spent a substantial chunk on shop supplies and better dust collection fittings and hoses for my tailed devices. I didn't see any massive sales discounts.

Roland Johnson (FWW) gave two terrific seminars on tuning and sharpening hand planes and scraping tools. What an incredibly nice, talented guy who is very interested in sharing what he does and what he has learned. He sure straightened a bunch of the local Galoots out, me included. Well, he made a start anyway. Some of us need more straightening than others. I was polishing and resharpening scrapers last night instead of checking email or catching up on the Wrec. I will definitely buy his DVD when it comes out.

Got to spend a lot of time talking to local artists and woodworkers. Some folks call these bull sessions. I like to think of them as idea exchanges, heh. Jeremy Grubbs had his purpleheart workbench and shaving horse on display at the Houston WW Club booth. There were several good discussions/ listen-ins/demos with members of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers.

I spent way too much time talking to members of t he Gulf Coast Woodturners. I love turning, but have stayed away from it the last couple of years to concentrate on other things. Well, their next meeting is Saturday, and I guess I am a new member and already looking forward to the 3 day woodturning retreat in May.. And I thought hand tools was a slippery slope. I guess I will have to build a spring pole lathe now to satisfy both urges.

The folks from CFEE School of Woodworking had some sort of demo going most of the time.

I didn't have enough time to actually view/attend their demos, but they always seemed to have a good crowd around their display.

CraftUSA was next to the GCW display, and had all their minilathes busy with people turning free pens both days I walked by. They must have had good sales. I didn't notice Woodcraft present, and the Rockler booth seemed to be only handing out catalogs. Circle Saw had a big display as usual, and I was tempted by their Dewalt impact driver, but finally decided I didn't need another battery drill just now.

I asked a few of the vendors how they were doing at the show, and the reply was basically "decent". Several said Saturday had been a good day, but were afraid the rain today (1.75 inches at my house), and it being Sunday, would affect their sales. The Grex booth seemed busy both days, and I noticed several people carrying their pinners around. I bought some additional pins from them.

The facility in Katy is much smaller than the Reliant Center complex. However, it was adequate for the shows booths and displays as far as I could tell. Not much in the way of concessions, but with free parking and in/out privileges, you could drive a few blocks to multiple restaurants, and eat a helluva lot better and cheaper than you can at Reliant.. No $5 cokes, $7 hotdogs or a second $10 (or more depending on what else is going on) parking fee. One ticket got you admitted all 3 days, so I'd say I saved at least $28 in fees for the two days I attended since the show was located in Katy. The various vendors at the show got the money I saved, not the city of Houston. Since I live in Richmond,I was satisfied with that.

All in all, I am really looking forward to next year. If I have as much fun as I did this time, I will go all three days. Enough for tonight.

Guess I better change the topic since I wandered so far afield.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

the Houston WW show

prices which seemed

with confidence since

spokeshaves present that

except maybe for a

better dust collection

Leon gave me pretty much the same report on the Houston show. He went on Friday afternoon, but I had to bow out due to business stuff. I almost went Sunday, after he told me about seeing the Snappy stuff, to see if Peachtree had any left, but ordered them online instead ... not in a big hurry.

Good report on the show. Thanks!

Last time I went was the last time it was in Reliant center, and the last three or four times before that I don't think I bought a single tool, only supplies, like you.

Prices don't seem to be much better than going to Rockler or WoodCraft with one of their constant stream of coupons, but it is fun to get in conversations and mix with like minded folks.

Reply to
Swingman

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:01:31 -0500, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Lose (eat?) a lot of stuff, do ya, Swingy?

These thrill me. I can buy the two most abused sizes and a dozen bits for each, then be done for a couple years.

42400, maybe. I like the stubby QC adaptor. I need some more #2 sq dr bits, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques