Drill/Screwdriver bit holders ... your favorite?

Page 1 of 2
I've got a drawer full of less than desirable combo types, from Craftsman, to Makita, to DeWalt.
About every four or five years I get fed up and go on a quest for something better. Something preferably two ended - for times like drilling pilot holes with one end, driving screws with the other.
Magnetic would probably be a plus, so would something that is not easy to lose/misplace, and with parts that don't strip out when you look at 'em, as long as we're dreaming.
What's the best screwdriver/drill bit holder solution you've found?
Is there an ultimate?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 04/15/2010 05:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

I've never used it, but this one looks interesting as it also incorporates a countersink. Dedicated to one size of drill bit though.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pH336&cat=1,180,42240
Normally I just use multiple drills. :)
Chris

I've tried a bunch of the combo things as well, and find them fussy. If I'm just drilling for a few, they're fine, but if I'm doing a bunch I have redundant drills so I use them. It doesn't take any more time to reach for another drill than to switch the bits around.
"Swingman" wrote:

IMHO, they are all over engineered and under peckered for doing more tha a few holes.
The two dedicated drill approach works for me, it's faster.
Lew

Probably not an altimate as each varies. Till I was injured I did electrical work up poles. I found the Hitachi electric screwdriver was great for me. I'm on my 3rd one. Comes with 2 LI batteries that seem to last along time even in cold weather. Screwdriver with 2 batteries charger and a couple of bits about $65. I liked that the bits locked in as if y our 40' in the air a bit on the ground is lost or useless. . Always wondered what that curve in ths shank was for. For me I loose magnetic bits constanty and as stated they drop along way. Note the toggle control is on the left side. No problem for me but for some could be a deal breaker. For bench work I'm sure I would go magnetic. An electric screwdriver isn't made to drive screws all day. I still like my old Makita 9.6 for that. Swingman your use will be different then mine, but I'm sure your buddy can recommend a similarly colored tool. 8-) For production work I have so much 18 volt Dewalt I'll probably be buried with it as it does the job well.
Mike M
Mike M
On 4/15/2010 10:26 PM, Mike M wrote:

Drills a plenty ... it's the bit/combo bit holders I'm asking about. The only one I have that comes close to actually being convenient is a DeWalt.
I was hoping I'd missed a better solution somehow. Seems I'm not the only one who could use one ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

On that basis the kit I've used uses a quick change 1/4" hex witch locks but is quick release.

Don't know about other which sizes of drill bits are available but the bits change easily and don't fall out.
Mike M
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:41:02 -0500, the infamous Swingman

I have two extensions which work for quick change on the Ryobi. One is medium length and one is long. Neither is handy unless I have plenty of room, and that only happens one out of seven times or so. I adore the short nose of the Impactor.

I more often swap drills, too. Drill with the Ryobi, impact with the Bosch 14.5, soon to be Makita 18v Lithium.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

The Impactor is great, isn't it? I also have the similar drill and screwdriver (came free with the Impactor). I have a bunch of extensions, of every make (Dewalt, Bosch, Makita,...) that I've collected over the years. I *rarely* use any because they just get in the way. If I need a longer bit I use a longer bit.

I have perhaps ten cordless drills so quick change isn't a priority. If I'm carrying them around, the two Bosch 12V (Impactor and drill) are small and pretty light. If I need more power I have a couple of 18V Dewalts.
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:46:13 -0500, the infamous
following:

Absolutely the most-used tool in my box(es). I adore it!

I'm quickly drifting in that direction, too. I just wish the long phillips bits didn't break so easily. Any tilt at all on those and the tips break off, and with a 6" bit, tilt is far too easy to happen. and I'd much rather have 6" of solid bit rather than an extension and bit which lose something in the translation. I can feel the screw going into the wood through a bit but not as well with an extension.

Ayup.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

No. An ultimate for a specific job (or maybe *type* of job, but I haven't found a solution that works well for all situations. I may be pushing the envelope more than most, though. I work on tiny stuff like card and ring boxes, and then home renovation projects, and then back to some light joinery and cabinet construction. I've got cordless (and corded and "manual") drills with different capabilities too. Sometimes I need power, sometimes a light touch. It's good to have a selection to choose from (mabe ONE will work!).

I agree with others here that the two-drill/fastener approach is right for me. I bought a pair if these: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS40-2A They came two-to-a-bag for $ 160.00 Kanuckistani sheckles. I am very happy with them. One is different than the other because it has an adjustable clutch, the other is a rattler. For me it was a good choice because I already had the adjustable angle 12v Bosch driver. I have also tried every conceivable bit-holder and have yet to be happy with any of them.
On 4/16/2010 8:34 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I've basically got the drills covered, before I get any more I have to complete the "router for every bit" plan ...

That's too bad ... I was hoping some of the more tool saavy would have a solution I just hadn't stumbled upon.
Sounds like an opportunity for Rob Lee.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Rob Lee has one that is mentioned in a post on this thread. My requirements have always been based on being inside a cabinet, on my back pre-drilling and screwing upwards towards the bottom of a countertop. I most cases, there is no room for my second arm/hand to change a bit, but I can grab a pre-positioned small, lightweight, illuminating impact drill. I guess it all comes down to the application.
On 4/16/2010 9:19 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Damn ... that post didn't show up until I went to Google. Chris' posts usually show up?
That might work ... thanks.

Indeed it does. The application at the moment is not cabinet work, or even FWW, but small structures where both a framing nailer, and screws, which must be countersunk, are needed ... walking around with two drills AND a framing nailer is not something I want to do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You can always put those chickencoops on a rotating table so you won't have to walk around them at all. . . . g,d&r
On 4/16/2010 1:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Hey ... all the chicks love me. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The impactor has a 1/4" quick change mouf, BTW. I've used the hex billdrits in it without any problems when my Ryobi battery was gone.

Nah, too small potatoes for him. He only goes for the 3 million/year products, like the Veritas Variable Gang Saw and the Veritas Full-Round Spokeshave. Truly hot sellers, they!
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

Yes there is the ultimate!
Shame on you for not knowing.... ;~)
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/cordless-drills/t-123-lithium-ion-cordless-drill-set-features-564247.html
On 4/16/2010 12:42 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/cordless-drills/t-123-lithium-ion-cordless-drill-set-features-564247.html LOL ... yep, that's a bit holder OK, but I was thinking more along the lines of $10 to $20. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010