Drill Press with Wheel instead of 3 handles

Page 2 of 2
I don't understand the problem. I just went out and tried my own drill press. I grasp one of those 3 handles by the ball on the end and pull it toward me and down (let's say from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock) to start the spindle downward. Then I simply let the ball slide in my fingers while I continue rotating (now, from 9 o'clock toward 6 o'clock) only now I am pushing the handle down and away from me, then pushing away and upward (from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock) and finally, to complete one whole rotation, pulling up and toward me (as it moves from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock). I can go round and round with no problems. If you can't do this, then a wheel wouldn't help, unless it had a handle sticking out. My vertical mill has one of those.
If this motion does not make sense to you or others, I suppose I could do a video, but it would only be about 3 seconds long.
Pete Stanaitis -------------
Puckdropper wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On 15 Feb 2011 02:17:11 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote: I like the setup on the shopsmith.. Only one handle/lever and it's short enough to spin 360 degrees if your drilling something that thick.. Oersonally, If I set my table height to just below the tip of the drill bit, I don't have a lot of travel to worry about.. You drilling through 8 or 10" thick stuff?

Add pictures here
✖
"Rather than the 3 handles, are there any drill presses out there that use a wheel to advance the head?  Am I missing major drawbacks? Puckdropper"
I just saw an article (did not save it/bookmark it - sorry) about a fellow who exchanged the three handles for a large Pulley (maybe ten inches or so) and fixed a cord to it and the cord to a couple of pulleys mounted to the wall behind the drill press tying it off at a paddle affair mounted on the floor.
He could, then, hold the work with both hands - should the need or desire arise - and use the paddle affair on the floor to drill the hole(s).
I met a fellow in Florida a few years back who had modified his drill press so that the spindle could be made to "oscillate" up and down while turning. This feature allowed him to attach a drum sander to the press to finish work.
Back to the first "guy," guys, it would seem that, where the pulley large enough, it would serve as implied by the OP - although a smaller pulley would be better for the foot-operated approach as the limited range of the foot paddle (6" or so, as I recall) would significantly reduce the spindle travel were the wheel attached thereto very large.
I wonder if one of those automotive steering wheel replacements (J.C. Whitney) wouldn't make a real comfy drill press wheel at a reasonable price. Years ago they sold some rather small replacement wheels - maybe ten inches in diameter. The spokes on some of these are set at an angle that should provide the requisite clearance.
Add pictures here
✖
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

On many drill presses it's possible with a combination of workpiece, bit, and taple position, for full rotation of the handle to be blocked. With the 3 handles, you can then unscrew them one at a time and reinstall as you advance the drill head downwards. A less common arrangement, usually seen on older presses, is a sliding T-handle like a vise, that also avoids blocking the press feed handle with the workpiece or table.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
✖
On Feb 15, 5:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Right. It's faster to remove the interfering handle than to break down and reset a jig or fixture.
Add pictures here
✖
On 15 Feb 2011 02:17:11 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I have been contemplating going to wally world and picking up a suicide knob. remember those? I wonder if one could be mounted to one of the DP handles? :-]
skeez
Add pictures here
✖

1 in 3 chance it'll be on the right handle. Best to install one on each.
Add pictures here
✖
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:

There are times I have to remove one of the handles to prevent the handle from hitting the odd-shaped piece of wood.
Add pictures here
✖