Drill Press with Wheel instead of 3 handles

I can't see how a wheel would be any advantage. If you are going to have to reach up and grab another knob, you would have to reach up and grab a new spot on a wheel. Why not just put a spinner knob on one of the three handles. Seems like a wheel would get in the way more.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

DING DING DING DING!

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
tiredofspam

The three handles are a pain in the ass but a wheel would be just as hard to shift grabs. As most know when you need to "regrab" the wheel / lever wants to return to the full upright position again.

The suicide knob may work but the torque and lack of leverage may be a problem for tougher "presses".

Some sort of two level gearing would be real nice. High ratio for fast turning and low ratio for the actual "press" and contact part f the operation. Sound too complicated to implement? There used to be a old high-low bicycle transmission that would change by jerking the peddle backwards. I was never sure how it worked.

Perhaps a sliding suicide knob that can implement quick turns when retratcted into the centre of the wheel and then slide out for better leverage and pressure? Spring return to centre of wheel, of course.

rich wrote:

.
Reply to
Josepi

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(H L Mencken)

Right. It's faster to remove the interfering handle than to break down and reset a jig or fixture.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I have been contemplating going to wally world and picking up a suicide knob. remember those? I wonder if one could be mounted to one of the DP handles? :-]

skeez

Reply to
skeez

1 in 3 chance it'll be on the right handle. Best to install one on each.
Reply to
Father Haskell

There are times I have to remove one of the handles to prevent the handle from hitting the odd-shaped piece of wood.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett