Drill Press: variable speed vs. multi-speed

Actually and at least up to a 1-3/8" forstner bit 700 is plenty slow. With a single bit I have drilled in excess of 1000 holes at that speed with no resharpening and no burning of the wood or discoloration of the bit.

Reply to
Leon

If you are only doing wood/aluminum/plastic then the multispeeds should be fine. If you want to do ferrous metals, then it's very difficult to beat a variable (electronic) speed. I would buy a standard multispeed and toss the AC motor. Get a surplus DC motor (GOOD one) and a solid state controller. You can use a Variac and a bridge rectifier to save some, if you want. Now you can drill a 1" hole in tool steel or aluminum or and wood product. With the DC motor, you want to tap something, no problem. Reversing is simple. I know, not for everyone but I would hate do do without it. The option, of course, is to buy a 3phase DP that have limited resale value (used/auction) and add a VFD. Will do the same things. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore