Drill Press Uses?

Page 2 of 2

HerHusband wrote:

I use my drill press whenever I need a hole straight up and down( which is most of the time). Hand held drills only drill approximately straight up and down. I also have a variety of drill press accessories, but nine times out of ten when I switch on the drill press I have nothing fancier than a twist drill in the chuck.
David Starr

I use mine for a gluing clamp on turning blanks and stuff... you wouldn't even have to plug it in.. *g*
Also handy for drum sanding, poor man's milling with a sanding disk, safer hole cutting, etc... Mac
HerHusband wrote:

Greeting from New Zealand, Anthony Having a spare small drill press I am converting it into a small milling machine like this. http://www.pathcom.com/~vhchan/cnc/cnc.html
Except I am not using the CNC part of it. Rather than go tothe trouble of making a housing for the bottom bearing,I am using the front hub and axle from a rear wheel drive car. Bolt the hub up,and spin the stub axle.

I use it all the time. In fact, I hardly ever pick up a hand-held drill in the shop anymore, I do almost all my drilling on the DP. To me, it's just as quick and easy to chuck a bit in the DP as in a hand-held drill, and any time I want a hole precisely located, or precisely perpendicular, or drilled to a particular depth. or want to drill holes in the same spot on multiple pieces, the DP does a lot better job.
To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com
John

=================Missed all the other replies.... I do not think I could survive with out a drill press even though I have 3-4 hand drills of various sizes and a couple of cordless drills around the shop... I have 3 Drill presses in my shop ... and my original floor model (crapsman I bought new in the mid 60's) has been a workhorse ...its got to be the most used tool in my shop...
Bob G.

I think it's like computer programs... what you learned to use first, you tend to use for everything it can possibly do...
Personally, I hate to use things like forstner bits and sanding drums on a hand held rig...
My DP is a shopsmith, which also serves as a router, 12" disk sander and a few other things, (not a saw), and I use it so much that I've thought of adding a dedicated DP to the new shop... Just one of those handy things to have..
With a few jigs, you can drill round stock, irregular shapes, etc.... Mac

Well, the DP is first and foremost a hole-drilling machine, and if you don't have much use for drilling holes than you probably won't have much use for a drill press. As others have pointed out, you can use it as a drum sander, mortise-rougher and a few other things, but those are secondary uses, and I probably wouldn't bother buying one just for those things.
(OTOH, shelf-pin holes are one of the things that I love the DP for. Set up the fence, and the spacing from the edge is fixed. Set the depth stop and the depth is fixed. Drill one hole, then use spacer blocks to move the workpiece by whatever spacing you choose, and you can bang out a whole bookshelf's worth of holes without any more measuring or even thinking. Perfectly aligned, consistent depth, perfectly spaced in both horizontal and vertical directions.)
To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com
John

In addition to drilling holes I use it to polish almost any item I can put in the chuck. You would be amazed the shine you can put on aluminum, brass, and even steel.
You can also shape and resize small bits of metal using a file, emery cloth, or even sandpaper.
I sometimes view the drill press as a small vertical lathe.