Drill Press Table Lift Easier Than I Thought

My original message resulted in several good posts, some suggesting a pully/counterweight solution. I gathered a pully, cable and cable hardware and calculated the size of counterbalances of various materials (sand, cement, lead....).
Then I noticed several rubber bungee-type tie downs on my shelf. Came up with the approach shown in photos (posted ABPW). As is, it acutally requies a little more push to lower than to raise the table. I will adjust tension and strap when I get the Fence/Table assembly finished and installed. A coating of slide compound on the tube helped too.
Cost about $6 and a scounged rubber bungee.
Ron
RonB wrote:

Waaaay to simple;-) And I've got a few bungie cords too, hmmm. Joe
Only problem is that the TENSION varies in relation to the length the bungie is stretched. A counter weight and pulley system gives a pretty constant force, so it will NOT vary depending on how far down the table is from the quill
John
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:12:39 -0400, Joe Gorman

Yes - I thought about that. The way I am set up I can still use the counterweight after I get the add-on table in place. I also have two or three different versions of the rubber bungees that will provide more or less tension. As it is the table comes up with light finger pressure underneath. As you note, going down requires a little more pressure as it drops.
Still much better than I had before.
wrote:

hardware
up
requies
tension

and that bungee will stretch and wear out. but hey, for now it's working. when it wears out, replace it with a weight.
Kind what I'm thinking. No sense in trying to balance the whole counterweight thing until I mount the auxiliary table top. It'll probably add 6-8# and as is, the bungee has it loaded in the "UP" position.

If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

hardware
requies
What is slide compound and where can I get it?
--
-Jim

What I used is a non-silicon product called SLIPIT. I bought it from Grizzly and they offer it in both paste and spray form. I use the paste and you just brush it on, let is set for a moment and wipe it off. It is a pretty good protectant for cast iron tops too. One can of paste will last a long time.

proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

This is weird. Am I hearing something almost verbatim from the past, or just hearing things?
Sorry. It was the question "What is slide compound, and where do I get it?" Sueddenly made this whole thread feel familiar. ***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Couldn't find your pics. Give me a url if you can!
Thanks, Lewis
--
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)
RonB wrote:

Good idea. Do believe I'ma gonna plagiarize (don't shade-yer-eyes) that one. Thanks.     mahalo,     jo4hn
"jo4hn" wrote: (clip) I'ma gonna plagiarize (don't shade-yer-eyes) (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks for the memories. Shades of Lobachevsky and Tom Lehrer--"Don't let anyone elses work evade your eyes."
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Be prepared.