Drill Press problem

I just got a 10 years Wilton Bench Drill Press Model 2350.

If I grab the top of the spindle that comes out of the pulley I can feel a lot of play. There is also some play in the chuck but much less.

What might be the problem? Is it a worn spindle or may be bad ball bearing?

Where can I find instruction on how to disassemble and trouble shoot drill press?

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
alexkuzn

sorry...but it is a disposable drill press....dumpster it and buy a new one!!

Reply to
aswr

Taiwanese ?

Probably a dead bearing.

An unrushed afternoon will get it apart and extract the bearing. Don't fiddle with it in repeated 5 minute slots, or else you'll lose bits. Take digital photos and make sketches as you work.

You'll need to have a word with one of JOAT's sons, or someone equally mechanically inclined. You'll probably need a bearing puller at some point, which JOAT's kids can borrow from Dad and forget to return 8-) Once you have it in bits, taking the old bearings into a local bearing dealer (yellow pages) will give you a pleasant surprise as to how easily these things are replaced and how cheap they are. They may even have any presses etc. necessary for pulling awkward bearings on or off shafts.

When dismantling drill presses, be _very_ careful of the return spring. These things are powerful enough to hurt.

If you don't want it aas a drill press, then read "Fine Woodworking on Making and Modifying Machines" (which I just acquired today) and there's a description in there of how to turn a cheap drill press into an oscillating bobbin sander.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

it is my understanding that there are two types of drill presses, ones with a split head casting and ones with a solid poured casting. The split head, like the expensive Powermatics and Indusrtial Deltas, are made to take a part and repair. The solid head ones, the head has been poured around the bearings, and the bearings are not replaceable, making it a disposable drill press. Is this correct?

Mike

Reply to
aswr

No, on two counts. First of all they're not made that way (it's laughable) and secondly they're repairable. _Hubble_ is repairable, some things are just easier than others.

It's probable that the bearings won't come out without either a press or a puller. They may not go back without Loctite bearing retainer, or even a repair shim. But this is all standard stuff for people who fettle metalwork all day, rather than chewing wood.

There is no secret Chinese plot to make machine tools unrepairable. Their _price_ does that - it's just not worth it in most cases. They're not intended for easy repair, and some designs will be downright awkward. But you won't find a _deliberate_ feature put in there to prevent repair, that would just be a waste of manufacturing cost.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

no.

Reply to